Chapter 3: Smooth Criminal

The next day I sat at the dinner table with my mother. There was mostly only ever long silence between the both of us. I wonder if she even knew about her friend. It's not something she'd ever showed interest in, but her and Gloria went way back.

Y/N: . . . You know Gloria is still in the hospital.

  She stopped eating for a moment, as if she was just now learning of it. She looked at me with a small glance before returning to her food.

Mom: . . . How is she?

Y/N: Okay. She still under, but she should be alright.

Mom: . . . I see.

  After that she stared at her plate for a bit before she just went back to eating. One thing's for sure, she was a true enigma to me in every way. I don't know if she really didn't care or what. But she seemed so empty. She didn't realize my injuries from that day I helped Gloria and David, thankfully. But it didn't matter at this rate. 

Y/N: How's work?

Mom: Satisfactory.

  More silence, nothing else she really needed to say to me.

  I finished my meal and stood to take my plate to the kitchen to wash it. I needed to meet with David tonight so I had to get ready for that. Also needed a better place to hide my injuries. As of recently, I've been taking on Animals and Tiger Claws alike, each one leaving their own mark on my that has yet to fully heal.

  I waited for her to finish her food and I took her dishes to the sink to wash them as well. She returned to her room, but before she was out of sight she called to me.

Mom: (Y/N).

  I turned to her not knowing what to expect. She placed her hand on my shoulder.

Mom: . . . Please. . . Don't stay out too late.

  I sigh and just lightly bow in respect for her wishes. It was odd though. She almost sounded concerned. But I understood her desired to some degree.

Y/N: Understood.

  I bow as she retreat for the night. Making my way to my garage doing my usual run. Taking the train, walking, feeding my cats, playing with them a bit, trust me I need to play with them or else they get antsy. Then I check on my Nightrider, fuel it with some spare CHOOH2, and went on my way to his house. I was gonna share what I do at Night with him tonight, though I noticed the locks on his door was changed once I arrived at his place, must be because of late rent.

Y/N: Well shit.

  Making sure no one was looking, I use the monowire to burn through the lock and make my way inside. No one was here.

  I walk around inside not really seeing any sign of him so I decided to wait a bit for him, so I just sat on the couch. Was wearing my Hell Cat stuff, but that was beneath the trench coat, didn't want any unknowns seeing me walk into his place, making him a target for anyone else. Keeping my home in my backpack as well to also hide any unneeded attention. So far I sat in there for about an hour, until I heard something in the other room and then suddenly there was someone next to me.

David: Sorry to keep you waiting.

Y/N: THE FUCK!?!

  Nealry jumping out of my skin, I look at David and notice his new implant on his back, being a little curious, I actually scanned the tech and was amazed.

Y/N: How he hell did you get a sandy? Wait! WHY DID YOU INSTALL IT!?!?!

David: Mom had it. I don't now how she got it, but it works like a charm.