I.II ~ The Tower

As the Emperor's influence grows, the Tower is revealed.

***

Owen knows of the stereotypical firefighters vs. police officers rivalry that infects several houses in the FDNY. Personally, he would rather have officers of the law on his side instead of stabbing him in the back. It's why he always cooperates with police investigations, whether his firehouse responds to suspected arson scenes or medical scenes that involve the police. His expertise on arson draws the attention of various squads in the NYPD. He frequently assists Lieutenant Van Buren's squad at the 27th precinct if their cases require help getting a modus operandi. His chief goes as far as joking that his blood might as well run purple instead of red with how much he helps the police. He merely smiles and humors the chief with a witty comeback.

He whispers in the mind of the teenager his medics treat, her clothes torn and her skin bruised, and calms her panic. The burn from the tattoo on his wrist is now a comforting caress, and he watches with satisfaction as his medics are now able to deliver the best care possible. He watches them transfer the girl in the ambulance, and he directs his team to return to the 252.

When he leaves, he swears he smells ozone as he sits in the officer's seat, and the hairs on the back of his neck stand.

***

Every firehouse or police station often has their bar of choice. Owen prefers Forlini's above all else, for the camaraderie he feels radiating from the teams who sit around him. For a fire officer with inexplicable abilities such as telepathy, that kind of environment is a soothing balm at the end of his day.

Then his hackles rise and the scent of ozone seeps into his nostrils, and unbidden, he reaches for the knife that was part of every cutlery set handed out at Forlini's.

"Now, what makes you think that would be a good idea?"

The amusement grates on Owen's nerves, yet there's something about the voice that makes something in Owen say right. "Call it instinct," is all the man says as he turns to face his visitor.

Jeweled green eyes meet piercing blue, and Owen recognizes the man immediately. He works under Captain Donald Cragen for the Special Victims Unit, and Owen knows this man crusades like none other. His closure rate is one of the best in Manhattan, and he is not a man to anger.

Owen considers the detective without a hint of fear, and he extends his hand. "Lieutenant Owen Strand," he introduces himself.

The detective's grin is as sharp as a shark's as he shakes his hand. "Detective Elliot Stabler. Nice to meet you, Lieutenant."

"So," Owen leans back on his arm, fisting his hand to alleviate the sudden burning from the ink on his skin, and gestures for the bartender's attention. "Pick your poison."

Elliot merely laughs as he slides onto the stool next to Owen. "You know what, Lieutenant? Surprise me."

***

It's the beginning of a friendship that no one in their departments, even those fanatically deep into the red vs. blue rivalry, can ignore. Whenever the 252 responds to a medical call involving a victim requiring the inclusion of SVU, it's Detective Stabler who rolls up first to the scene. If a case involving arson requires a closer look, Captain Cragen learns to never call the FDNY because Lieutenant Strand always arrives to lend his keen eyes to the case. Strand and Stabler become so close on and off shift that soon it becomes StrandandStabler. Stabler's children learn to call Strand their uncle, and little Tyler Kennedy, nicknamed TK by his parents, gleefully refers to Stabler as a second father. Owen laughs at the dumbstruck look on his friend's face, and Elliot retaliates by calling TK Tyler. Neither protest their names from that night onward.