I.V ~ The Devil

In one universe, tragedy trumps the Tower. In another, chaos causes the Devil to come into his own.

***

In one universe, Elliot Stabler leaves New York without a word to anyone other than his captain.

He stands in his kitchen, staring down at papers he has yet to deliver. All he sees when he closes his eyes is Jenna Fox bleeding out in his arm. All he hears are the gunshots ringing out in the precinct, many of them hers but the loudest is his. His shot, which killed a high school girl. She may have been a murderer, but she was still a kid. And he was the one who killed her.

In one universe, Elliot Stabler leaves New York without a word to anyone other than his captain. In this universe, before he has a chance to call his captain, another call comes in, this one from a different captain. He hesitates before he answers. When he does, he's glad he answers.

"Elliot, it's TK."

***

In one universe, Elliot Stabler leaves without any explanation to Owen Strand or Olivia Benson. He vanishes without a word to any of them and isn't seen for a decade.

In this universe, he rushes up the steps of TK's high school with Olivia and Fin, the 252's battalion vehicle parked outside. Jenna Fox is no longer on his mind. All he thinks about is getting through the throng of students, some of them shouting angrily at each other, some of them sliding down lockers to sleep on the floor, and some of them making out in corners. "What the hell got into them?" Fin asks in bewilderment.

But Elliot has a sinking feeling in his stomach, remembering the panic in Owen's voice. It had also been laced with dread, and Elliot can only think of one conclusion.

They give their names, and the secretary points them in the direction of the school infirmary. Owen sits on the bed next to TK, his arm tight around his son. TK is staring down at his clenched fists, and Elliot can see him shaking. One arm has his sleeve all the way down to his wrist. His other is covered by Owen's other hand, and only when the nurses are looking away does he remove his hand.

Shining on TK's wrist is an ombre XV, its colors black as pitch and red as blood. On Elliot's own wrist, his XVI tattoo throbs in answer.

***

"The Devil," Owen says in disbelief, running his hands through his dark and silver hair as he paces his kitchen. "Out of every card I thought he could be . . . I never thought he would be the Devil."

"The Devil represents more than traits people see as wrong, Owen," Olivia says gently. "We know the cards aren't just upright. They're reversed, too."

Owen drops his head into his hands. "He's been through so much in his life already, Liv," he says quietly. "When he came into his powers, he didn't even know what he was doing. When I got to the school and saw how the rest of the students were reacting just by being near him – "

"But this is different than any of our cases," Olivia gestures between him, herself, and Elliot. "TK isn't alone. He has us, and he has Fin. We can help him learn, Owen."

"I know," Owen sighs and drops into his chair with a sigh. "I know, I just . . . "

Words fail him, but Elliot steps away from where he leaned against the doorway. He hesitates for only a second before he squeezes Owen's shoulder. "You've got us, Owen. So does TK."

Owen nods silently, and Elliot thinks back to the papers he left on his kitchen counter. In one universe, Elliot leaves without a word to Owen or Olivia.