Year 2 Chapter 7.5 - Rules

(WARNING: please don't read this chapter if you know the rules of special exam. There are over 5000 words so it will be boring. Those who know the rules, please do not read.)

July 19

The day before we landed on the uninhabited island. It was 12:36 p.m. The Saint Venus, a luxury liner with a total of twelve decks in all, was sailing south-southwest through the waves.

A short time later, an announcement could be heard throughout the ship, telling us that the informational meeting was over.

First-years are all done.

It was now the second-year students turn to gather in the movie theater, since the first-years were finished. When we got inside, we were told that there were no assigned seats, and that we were free to sit wherever we pleased.

I sat in the back right corner.

Like last year, Mashima-sensei, the instructor of Class 2-A, was the one in charge of explaining the rules to us.

Mashima: Your stay on the uninhabited island will last for two weeks, starting tomorrow. Just like last year’s exam, essentially, you are expected to go about your days freely on the island. If you become injured or fall ill during the exam, or if you commit a serious violation of the rules, you will be eliminated from the exam. No ifs, ands, or buts. As I’m sure you very clearly remember, we asked you to form small groups of up to a maximum of three people prior to this point. Once the special exam begins, small groups will be allowed to band together. Following certain conditions, small groups will be allowed to merge into larger groups, up to a maximum of six people. If all members of a particular group are eliminated, then that group will be disqualified, and their final position in the rankings will be determined.

All the students in the groups that placed in the bottom five spots in the rankings would be expelled from the school. However, a group’s expulsion could be avoided by paying six million Private Points.

Mashima: Starting tomorrow, you’re going to be living on an uninhabited island for two weeks. But now I’m about to go over the important part.

That’s right. We hadn’t been given any explanation whatsoever as to how the rankings were determined yet.

Mashima: Each group will fight in order to collect points which will determine the rankings

There were over 150 students packed inside the theater. All of us looked up at the giant screen.

OVERVIEW OF THE UNINHABITED ISLAND SPECIAL EXAM

For a period of two weeks, groups will compete with one another to earn points in a survival exam

In the event that all members of a group are eliminated during the exam period, that group will be immediately disqualified
(All points that group has collected up until that point will be invalidated and their ranking will be determined immediately)

This meant that even if you had collected many points, it would all be for nothing if your entire group was eliminated. While it was important to collect points, the number one priority was to avoid getting eliminated. You had to hang in there for the entire duration of the test.

A map of the uninhabited island where we would be making landfall tomorrow was displayed on the screen alongside the test overview. A grid of horizontal and vertical lines divided the map into evenly spaced cells.

 A grid of horizontal and vertical lines divided the map into evenly spaced cells