Chapter Two

"P-Pete-" I stammered, catching my phone midway in the air.

He grimaced, blushing a bit. "It's just Pete, you know." he joked.

"I'm such a klutz." I complained, avoiding eye contact. I was drunk as hell - speaking to none other than Pete Wentz.

"How about that drink you wanted?" he offered, nodding in the direction of the bar. I squinted at the bright lights from the lasers dancing around in the club. Gabriella and Gabe were grimacing in my direction - they've noticed Pete and I talking already.

"You know what? How bout we ditch this joint and head on down to that pizza parlor to that you mentioned earlier?" I quickly suggested, confusing him a bit until he followed my line of sight. I needed to get away from here and sober up before I made a fool of myself tonight.

He smirked before moving out of my way. "Lead the way, emo queen."

"You're not funny." I snapped seductively, shoving him out of the way as I made my way to the door.

"Feisty... I like it." he commented checking me out.

"I saw that..." I said, grinning at him.

"Woops-" Pete said shrugging as he joined me - shoving me out of the door of the club, nearly knocking me off my feet. We walked a couple of blocks, joking and talking about how much we actually had in common.

"Try wearing a shirt saying 'I prefer the bass player' when you are the bass player." I joked rolling my eyes.

"You really don't fit in with that crowd - you know that?" He asked while slipping into the cubical across me, placing his phone face down onto the table. "Yours?" he motioned, crossing his legs and leaning back. I hesitantly took out my phone and placed it down onto his.

"So- what's the point in this oh wonderful rock god?" I asked curiously. He laughed leaning his elbows onto the table and resting onto his hands.

"Simple. First one to touch his phone pays the bill." he answered, cocking his head as he smiled cockily.

"Be prepared to loose." I challenged as the waiter arrived to take our order. We ended up ordering two vegetarian large pizzas and some diet cola.

"So... about me not fitting in. You don't exactly fit in with fall out boy either." I said matter of factly, wiping my hands on my paper napkin.

"Touche - but we're more alike than meets the eye. You - you just stand out like a damn sore thumb, Jen." he sounded concerned? He was right - somewhat. I was the mail lyricist of the band. That was something no one knew. They always thought Gabe or Steve wrote all those hardcore sad songs.

"I'm just like them, Peter. Believe it or not." I answered after clearing my throat, judging my words as I did my best to sound as convincing as possible.

"You can't lie to me, Jen. Do they even know we've hung out together before?" Pete asked, drinking down the last gulp of his cola.

"That was years ago, Pete. Drop it." I said, grabbing my phone. "Fuck this - I'll pay for everything, but this conversation... is over." I took out my wallet, smacking a $20 bill on the table. "Nice seeing you again." I added in a half whisper before storming out of the diner. I guess being blue was better than being over it right now. They didn't know Pete and I were together in college back in the day. He dropped out and I switched from political science to music literature. I was such a simple girl back then. Hated all the things I'm throwing myself into lately. Sex - drugs - alcohol - heavy metal - tattoos - fame. I just wanted it to be us back then - but I was never good enough. I've moved on, build an indestructible brick wall around me, this 'take no shit from no one' girl from Chicago who rocked the alternative rock scene in New York with her new gothic friends. They got me. Sometimes. Ok not always. Maybe Gabe still did. Pete screwed me over tonight, fucked with my feelings. I wanted to rip his heart out more than anything else right now. He grabbed my arm, spinning me around as I scowled at him. He stared into my eyes, his thick guyliner emphasizing his chocolate eyes I could never get enough of.

"Jen, please. I'm sorry. The past is the past. I shouldn't have-" He started, staring at me, not breaking eye contact for a second. He was determined.

I shook my head at him, feeling my bottom lip tremble. From fear, heartache maybe? "I was never good enough for you. I will probably never be either. Do you have any idea how betrayed I felt?" I asked in a half whisper, trying my utmost best to rip my arm away from him - but he relentlessly held on for dear life. "Let - me - go!" I warned through gritted teeth.

He stared at me - and I knew that look. He was going to do something he wasn't sure of. As if on cue he cupped my face with his free hand and crushed his lips to mine. My eyes went wide with shock as I stared at him, doing my best to tell him to stop. My efforts escaping my mouth in muffled mumbles. He broke the kiss, shaking his head as he dropped my arm before putting some distance between us. "Looks like I was wrong-" he scoffed, throwing his hands in the air. "You don't have a heart any more."

I gaped at him. That hurt. Hit me right in the gut, knocking my wind out. I shook my head, choking up. What have I done - what have I become? He turned to leave, regret written all over his face. "Peter-" I chocked out, dropping to my knees. "Pete-" I called again. He turned back to look at me from over his shoulder, doubting if he should help me. "I'm sorry." I chocked out.

"You're not the one who screwed up, Jen." he answered, walking back to me, offering me his hand to get up. I took his hand, pulling him down to me, knocking us over. He laid on top of me, a weak smile forming on his lips. "I said I'd never miss you, but I guess you never know, may the bridges I have burned light my way back home." he whispered as he got back up, sitting cross legged on the pavement next to me, laughing at himself.

I gently took his hand in mine and answered, "I wish I'd known how much you loved me. I wish I cared enough to know. I'm sorry every song's about you. The torture of small talk with someone you used to love." I smiled up at him, urging him to look at me. "I knew you wrote that for me. Deep down, I knew you still remembered that weird girl you used to have class with." I added with a chuckle.