Chapter Twelve

We parked in front of a security gate while Pete buzzed it open, leading us into an underground parking area. Everything seemed so strange - unfamiliar even.

I followed him into the elevator and up to the 8th floor where we walked to the door at the end of the hallway.

"Ready?" he asked, waiting for my reply. I wordlessly nodded my head and adjusted my hoodie as I anticipated him to open the door.

It was everything I'd imagine it to be. Sleek. Sophisticated. Simple. My pj's were still laying on the ground where I apparently left them. Various record - platinum and gold - hung on my walls. A couple pf bass guitars stood lined up in their stands in the spacious living room and perched on the coffee table was a black leather book, binded with a worn brass lock. I lifted the unfamiliar key hanging around my neck and noticed it would make a perfect fit.

"Guess that's all you needed to give you all the answers you were looking for." he mentioned, shoving his hands into his jeans and nodding in its direction.

"But... Honestly... I'm scared-" I replied.

"Of what, Jen?" he asked, pulling me closer to him.

"What if there are things I wanted to forget about in there?" I asked, laying against his chest.

"It's up to you. Whenever you're ready you should try and have a look at it. Some guy called earlier. I just never got to telling you about it." he said, letting me go while biting down in his lip.

"Who?" I asked curiously.

"Gabe-" he replied.

I chucked softly, trying to lighten the tension. "And I'm supposed to know who that is, right?" I asked, half frustrated.

"From your band. He sounded semi-pissed. Guess the dude doesn't like me much." he replied with a devious smirk.

Everything came back to me. The band. The dare. Peter. Why we broke up in the first place. Why I agreed yo this stupid dare in the first place. My eyes grew wide as I shoved him away. "You-" I growled. "You!"

He swallowed hard, gently taking my wrists and holding me in place as I furiously shook to free my hands. "Jen... What gives?" he asked confused.

"You slept with my best friend!" I shouted, trying to shove him away again.

"Jen, after all these fucken years I've tried to tell you that it wasn't me! I never slept with Payton. I swear! She tried to seduce me, but I left... I left the party and went home to sleep off the meds she slipped into my drink. I swear. I'd never hurt you." he replied gently, trying to calm me down.

I looked at him. Stunned.

After all these years, I left him becaise of a rumor Joe spread. "I..." I couldn't get a word out. "I'm such a dick-" I added in a whisper.

"No, I'm the dick. I should have told you earlier." he said, cupping my face.

"We need to talk. I remembered. Everything. And I'm busy doing something bad. Or at least, it feels bad. Ok, you know what - I'll just throw it at ya..." I said, clearing my throat as my palms started to sweat. "They dared me to make you fall in love with me and if I couldn't make you dump me within 10 days, I had to leave the band." I admitted, closing my eyes before covering my face in shame.

He just stood there. Looking at me woth his mouth half open as of to say something, but nothing came out.

"I actually thought you liked me. That you wanted this to work. You know what, Jen... Congratulations. You get to tell your band you did it. So long and goodbye -" he said, now sickened by the mere sight if me.

"Peter... Peter! I didn't mean to. I wish I never listened to them. I made a mistake. I'm sorry. Please..." I begged, running after him.

"It's over, Jennifer. Leave me be." he replied bluntly, taking my hand off his arm.

"Peter, please." I begged through sobs. "I love you." I added softly.

He stopped dead in his tracks and dropped his head. "Are you sure? Isn't thos part of your scheme to break me down even more? You know -" he said, turning back to face me. "I actually stared falling for you again. I never wanted you to leave my side - toir with us, leave your band. They're treating you like shit, Jen, but you're so fucken desperate to fit in that youd do anything for them to accept you!"

We watched each other for a while, breathing hard as we tried to calm our racing hearts.

"I have a plan..." I replied, breaking the silence. A sly smile spread on his face and I knew I spaked his enthusiasm with that one.