~Chapter 36~

It is the last Wednesday in November, the day Josie begins learning occlumency

It is the last Wednesday in November, the day Josie begins learning occlumency. While she trusts her friends, Regulus, Evan, and Pandora, she hesitates to reveal her new endeavor to them. The reason for her secrecy lies in the fact that they come from Pureblood families, most of whom support the rising Dark Lord. Josie knows it isn't about her friends themselves but about being cautious in her circumstances.

She is discreetly working with Helena on blocking certain thoughts. Helena, well-versed in the topic, appears as a transparent form standing in the corner while Josie sits on one of the chairs in the room. The space is partially cleared of dust and cobwebs through magical efforts, but some remnants still remain (she definitely does not run out of the room when she sees a spider).

"Think of it as some sort of shield," Helena speaks with a wispy voice, offering her guidance. "Form protection spells around the thoughts you want to hide, as if shoving them into a corner of your mind."

Josie takes a deep breath, ready to put the advice into practice. She focuses on concealing her thoughts about her investigations into Tom Riddle, her experiences with Helena, her suspicions about Dumbledore, and anything that might raise eyebrows. With determination, she imagines locking these thoughts away in a corner of her mind and encasing them with protection spells.

"It's hard in the sense that you have to clear your mind while keeping the protective barriers intact," Helena continues her instructions. "But it's also easy in the sense that fortifying the rest of your mind feels more natural."

Josie nods, trying her best to follow Helena's guidance. As she concentrates on both aspects of shielding her mind, she finds that keeping the shields up isn't as difficult as she initially thought.

After a few moments of intense focus, Josie slowly opens her eyes and finds Helena smiling approvingly at her progress. "Good job, Josephine. Now go, or you'll be late," Helena says, seemingly aware of the time despite being a ghost.

Josie doesn't question how a ghost could tell time. She quickly packs her bag, feeling a sense of accomplishment for her efforts. "Thank you, Helena," she says gratefully before leaving for her other commitments.

She is visibly nervous, her heart beating faster with every step she takes. The halls are unusually empty, likely because it is dinner time.

She makes her way through the halls until she finally reaches the concealed entrance. Standing there for a few moments, Josie tries to calm her nerves.

After whispering the password, she ascends the numerous stairs. The ascent seems to drag on forever, though she knows it is just her anxious mind playing tricks on her. "Stairs can't taunt; they are stairs. What is wrong with me?" she chides herself silently.

Finally, Josie reaches Dumbledore's office and knocks on the door. It opens, revealing Dumbledore sitting behind his desk, engrossed in something. "Ah, hello Miss Potter. Please, have a seat," he says, gently adjusting his glasses.