Contract

After she'd finished breakfast, Aurora asked Adam to invite her to his room. He thought this was weird, but once she mentioned the contract, he invited her.

Aurora used the computer to quickly type a contractual agreement. The agreement went into detail about Adam's role as Aurora and Logan's son. A lot of detail; in fact, it also included Logan's demands.

The more she typed, the more unsettled Adam felt about the contract. He'd heard about owing people or going to jail for breaking contracts. He didn't want any of that to happen.

Aurora's eyes stared holes into him.

"What?"

"You're biting the flesh off your fingers. Are you absolutely sure you want a contract?"

Kids couldn't go to jail, right? He'd never heard about it before.

"If you break your end of the contract, I can take you to court. Even as a minor."

"How do I know you'll keep your promise without it?"

"You don't"

"But if I sign it, I can go to jail?"

Aurora neither spoke or moved. She just stared blankly at him. The blood left Adam's face and hands. He felt cold, but his chest was burning. The room's spinning made him dizzy.

"What did I ask of you when we met?"

"...To be your son for a week."

"Exactly. With a contract, our relationship is just a business deal."

"But without it you won't pay me."

"I never said that. I don't have children. Even if it's for a week, I would like to experience being a mother. Will you trust me?"

Adam stopped to think. He didn't know anything about these people. But he felt comfortable around Aurora. She hadn't said that he owed her for the game or bag.

"How much will you pay me?"

"How much will you need to be on your own again?"

"$500."

"I'll pay you $1000."

"For real?"

"Yes."

"Then I'll trust you."

"Thank you."

"Alright, now that's settled. Get ready."

"For what?"

"We're going out."

"I don't have anything clean to wear."

"Adam, this is your room."

Adam nodded, unsure of what she meant. His room... As Adam's gaze travelled the room realisation struck. His room! There were clothes in the drawers and closets.

"Yeah, I'll get ready."

"You're not going anywhere unless I sign off on it.."

"Sophia..."

"You are going downstairs. Now. "

"I feel fine."

"As you did yesterday. If you're going anywhere on Friday, you're going nowhere for the rest of the week."

"Adam needs—"

"Logan can handle it." Sophia stated defiantly.

"If we go downstairs and my readings are normal, will you let me go?"

"No."

"You—how about you come with us? That way, you can keep an eye on me."

After thinking it over briefly, Sophia agreed. An hour later, Adam, his parents, and Sophia were on their way to the city. His mother brought him to shop for new clothes and shoes for the upcoming events, while his father and Sophia tagged along.