Escape

The adults in the group began conversing, laughing, and making jokes. Logan, too, attempted to join the conversation, but they ignored him and continued talking. The adults in this group acted like the children who had ignored Adam. Adam also picked up on a few of those unwelcoming stares directed at Logan.

Why did they invite him to talk with them if they weren't going to let him speak? That soon became clear, as they directly engaged Aurora with statements and questions. They didn't give off that unwelcoming air, as they did with Adam and Logan.

Adam knew this annoyed her, as she kept tapping her fingers on his shoulder. Logan's unease was also apparent as he kept stealing glances at his wife. Despite her feelings, Aurora maintained a pleasant countenance.

"Aurora—"

"How are you feeling?" Logan cut the man off.

He made a dramatic scene by checking Aurora's pulse and temperature. Adam also looked on with concern, and the other adults watched with curiosity. Aurora gave Logan a weak smile.

"I can hold it," Aurora said, exhaling sharply.

"Mom!" Adam pleaded.

"I'm sorry, we'll take our leave of you here." Logan said sternly, escorting his family away.

Logan and Adam walked Aurora to a table off to the side.

"Sorry," Logan said softly as he embraced her.

"It's not you. It's them. You handled that well," said Aurora as she hugged him back, laying her head on his shoulder. "Be sure to decline further invitations from them."

"I will."

"Are you okay?"

Adam's parents smiled at his concern and pulled him closer to them.

"Don't worry, that was for show." Logan patted his back.

Adam looked at Aurora in disbelief. "Are you sure?"

"Well, now that you mention it...I am feeling a little thirsty." She playfully replied.

Logan assisted Aurora into a chair and poured her a glass of water. The family stayed together at the table, briefly discussing the events of the night so far. Aurora also explained her relationship with her family and Nicholas.

"I thought the richer you were, the happier things would be," said Adam, questioningly.

"Wealth makes it easier to do the things you want to. But that doesn't equate to happiness."

"Answer me truthfully," began Logan. "When you made me skip the bids and invitations from Baggio affiliates, was it to protect yourself?"

"Both of us. If my father believes he can still salvage something from me, he'd take me back and cripple your chances of growing. You'd never get another big contract or be invited to these events."

"And the invitations and contracts I've gotten since we were married—did you use your identity?"

"Never. You earned those with your own ability."

The couple reassessed their situation. The time they had spent building favourable relationships with the Kaufmanns was now wasted. They needed to find another well-connected patron unaffiliated with the major families.

"Adam, I'll need you to stay for another week."

"As long as you keep your promise."

Opting to leave the dinner party early, Adam's parents encouraged him to share contact details with the children he'd spoken with. While Adam hurried over to say goodbye to his new friends, Logan left Aurora alone to give their farewells to the hosts.