Rescue

Adam froze. Was it someone from inside the room? Was it one of the hotel staff? Did someone else from the party follow him up? He glanced at the hand on his shoulder and immediately recognised his father's wedding ring.

"Da—

"Ssshh"

The two leaned closer to the door, listening. Waiting. A hearty laugh resounded from within.

"I don't know you?! I know sides of you Logan would never see. I've seen faces you've made that he'll only dream of!"

"That was not me."

"That was the purest you, Aurora. Can you imagine the faces she'll make?"

"She's eleven; let her go."

The men in the room chuckled.

"I'm here already; there's no need for you to keep her."

"You're very attached to her, aren't you?" Nicholas said in a low tone.

"What better way to ensure you comply?" Said another man.

Samantha shrieked. Logan pulled Adam out of the way and pushed through the door.

"Bold of you to meet in secret with my wife after your stunt earlier." Logan said as he approached the group.

Adam scampered to his feet to quickly follow his father into the room.

Apart from Nicholas, there were three other men in the room. Mr. Hoppenstedt and two younger men Adam didn't recognise. Logan charged the younger men as they held Samantha.

A brief scuffle ensued as Logan fought to separate Samantha from the young men. Once he got the girl free, he threw her towards Aurora, who caught her and held onto her tightly.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry" The girl kept whimpering as she trembled in Aurora's arms.

"It's okay. You're safe now." Aurora soothed.

"Adam, get them downstairs." instructed Logan

"Do not fight them." His wife warned.

Logan looked at Aurora over his shoulder. Understanding passed between them as he nodded and turned his attention back to the other men.

Adam was dazed and confused. He knew he had to get his mother and Sammy out of the room, but everything about the situation so far had him on edge, and he wanted to run away.

Samantha's hair was a mess, and her dress was torn along the neck, exposing her back and chest. Aurora took off her shawl and wrapped it around the girl as she held her close.

"Adam!" Logan snapped.

The boy stepped into action, helping his mother lead Sammy to the door. The trio briskly made their way to the elevator and down to the lobby.

Now somewhat safe, Samantha burst into tears loudly, holding onto Aurora as she did. A front desk staff member came over with napkins and a bottle of water. Try as she might, Aurora found it difficult to soothe Samantha. Whenever the girl's tears lessened, a new wave would start again.

"It's not your fault, Sammy." Adam whispered, placing a hand on her shoulder.

Samantha tensed and screamed, clinging to his mother tighter. Aurora gave Adam a weak smile, then caressed his cheek.

"She needs to cry it out right now."

The other party guests poured out of the room and made their way across the lobby. Many of them hadn't seen the trio, but when Samantha's mother called her out, that caught everyone's attention.

"Samantha! What are you doing there?!" The girl's mother shouted as she approached the trio.

Aurora glared at the other woman in disgust. Sammy flinched and gripped her tighter, burying her face deeper in Aurora's gown.

Her mother grabbed her arm, attempting to pull her away from Aurora. It was swift and hard, and the sound travelled the lobby. It was the second time Adam had seen his mother this angry as she slapped Samantha's mother.

"You bi—

"A mother is supposed to protect her child, not throw her to animals like a piece of meat!" She roared.