Chapter 3 - Chimera

When I regained my consciousness, I found myself in some sort of empty space. All around me, I could only see the color white, nothing else. There were no decorations, no natural scenery, no other colors, just white as far as my eye could see. I tried to listen for any sounds, like a clock ticking or any animals, but I heard absolutely nothing; silence ruled the area.

"Hello?" I tried asking, hoping that there was someone nearby who could tell me what this place was. I was surprised to find out that I could not hear my own voice, it was like I had never opened my mouth at all. This phenomenon reminded me of something that I was very interested in and drew my mind away from my current situation.

'This place kind of reminds me of space. In the void that is outer space, sound cannot travel, as sound requires some kind of medium, whether that is in the form of solids, liquids, or gasses. Naturally, space being a void, does not have any of these states of matter, meaning that sound cannot travel. However, the outer space that I know is pure black, while this space is pure white. In that case, what could this place be then? It reminds me of space but the coloration is the opposite to what it should be. In that case, could it be possible that this is a parallel to space, or some kind of reversed space? Wait... if this place is like space, shouldn't there be no oxygen to breathe? How come I can still breathe perfectly fine? I guess this supports my theory that this area is some kind of reversed space.' I deducted in my head after compiling my knowledge of space and comparing it to my observations of this place.

'Speaking of space, I wonder if I can see any constellations in the sky. I vaguely remember being very interested in astronomy and a bit of astrology from before my memories became blurry. Hmmmm... why can I clearly remember some of my interests and knowledge, but other aspects of my memory, like my family, are very unclear to me?' I speculated, trying to recall as much information as I could.

After a while going through my memory banks to try and extract all the frankly useless knowledge stored there, I discovered that my memory of purely information remained untouched. Next, I tried to recall memories with my parents, mainly focusing on conversations with them. However, I found out that all these memories except the scene I had just seen before falling unconscious were still unclear.

'Perhaps whatever is affecting me targets only specific memories because as of now, the only memories that are still hazy seem to be those involving my family or why I woke up in a cave. I've never heard of any natural conditions that are able to target specific memories, so I would assume that this was caused by someone. Then again, it should be impossible for someone to be able to do this, but I remember that some fantasy novels had a person who was able to do this. Following that reasoning, this problem of mine should be some kind of seal. Actually, thinking back, Mio did say unlocking memories. So that means that it is some kind of seal. In that case, who was it that inflicted me with this seal and why does Mio have the ability to unseal it. I'll have to ask Mio later.' I thought to myself before sighing. 'I guess the world isn't as simple as I thought it was...'

Quest Completed

-Figure Out the Issue

Rewards

-Stellar Affinity

Granting Rewards...

Rewards granted.

Host Ayaka has received the Stellar Affinity.

Mio's robotic voice suddenly rang out, this time, out loud instead of just in my head. Her voice jerked me out of my thoughts as I began to look around, trying to find where Mio's voice came from. I looked for a while, but I could not pinpoint the location. I decided to give up searching, but right before I stopped, Mio's voice echoed around me again.