Chapter 7 - Gensokyo

When I awoke, I found myself in the room that I awoke from my evolutionary slumber, so to speak. Unlike last time, there was no one in the room alongside me. I sat up from the bed and took this moment of silence to reflect on the danmaku duel that I participated in before falling unconscious.

'For my first time doing this, I'd say I did fairly well. I definitely need to get better at analyzing patterns to find sweet spots to dodge the bullets, improving my reaction time so that I can actually dodge the bullets as they near me, and staying focused on the battle. I've noticed that I have a tendency to get lost in my thoughts at times. This tendency played a part in my downfall in the battle. I got so caught up in my thoughts that I lost focus of the battle, and as a result, I was hit by a bullet that I could've dodged otherwise.' I summarized my primary weaknesses during that spell card duel.

'Well at least it seems that my patterns are pretty effective as Koishi was caught off guard several times by the patterns. Actually, was her getting hit caused by my spell patterns or because she was just going easy on me. I hope it's the former, and I'll just assume so unless given proof that it isn't because I did see a surprised expression during some parts of the fight.'

Knock Knock

A faint knocking sound made me raise my head and look towards the door, thereby snapping me out of my thoughts. A few seconds after the knocking stopped, the door opened, revealing Orin standing in the hallways.

"Oh, you're awake! Do you feel any discomfort at all?" She asked while walking into the room, reminding me once again of a mother concerned at their child's wellbeing.

"N-no, I don't" I responded shortly after she finished her question.

'Wait, did I nearly answer her question without stuttering? Did I answer her without taking too much time lost in my thoughts, trying to convince myself to speak? Is it that I am getting better at talking to people I don't know, or is it that I am starting to get closer to Orin?' I wondered. I felt a weird connection with Orin, actually not just Orin, but everyone in the palace. I couldn't tell what this connection was, it was sort of like the connection I felt with my parents, but also not at the same time. It was hard for me to explain even to myself, but I was sure that something was there or at least developing. Orin acted like my mother, always there to care for me and make sure everything was alright. Satori and Koishi both acted like my sisters, which they were, who tried to make me feel welcome and get me to fit in with the rest. Okuu, who I had only met once, easily accepted who I was. Even though they have done all this for me, I'm still not ready to accept them as my family yet, despite the fact that I know for certain they are certainly my family.

"I heard you battled Miss Koishi yesterday, how was it?" Orin asked, walking towards me before sitting down on the bed, right next to where I sat up while I was still deep in contemplation.

"I-it was okay. I managed to m-make her use h-her spell card." I answered.

"Oh, that's pretty impressive! You managed to make Miss Koishi use her first spell card despite it being your first time battling with danmaku. Although she may not look like it, Miss Koishi actually has a lot of experience in battling. Most of those who she battled did not make it past her first nonspell." Orin praised before reaching her hand out towards my head.

I shuddered when I felt her hand reach my head. She started to slowly move her hand side to side, patting my head. I felt a heavenly sensation when she began to do so. The head pat felt so comfortable that my body relaxed involuntarily. I had entered a trance-like state of pure comfort from her gentle caresses. I even heard myself start purring, which I didn't even know I could, because of how good the head pat felt. I soon snapped out of this trance when I realized I was purring. I blushed heavily when I finally got out of the trance and slowly backed away from Orin until I couldn't feel her hand on my head anymore.