Chapter 4: The Accident (click on the cover photo its still amazing)

It had now been one week since Evelyn had ended things with Remy. She had been at her house crying for the past 7 days. She wanted to hate him. She wanted to loathe him for what he did to her. But by some strange force, no matter how hard she tried not to, she still loved him. In her heart, he was all she wanted. She just wished it would go away.

She was now on her couch, watching Mean Girls for the 5th time in a row, when her phone rang. She checked the caller ID, and was surprised to see that it was from a nearby hospital.

"H-hello?" she answered hesitantly.

"Hi, is this Evelyn Winebaugh?" the lady on the other end of the phone asked.

"Yes, it is."

"Alright. Ma'am we understand that your boyfriend is Remy the Rat, is that correct?" Evelyn's eyes narrowed.

"Not anymore," she said through clenched teeth.

"...Oh," the lady said after a moments hesitation, "I'm sorry, he told us that you were-"

"Alright just cut to the chase, what is this about?" Evelyn interrupted, getting annoyed.

"Right, yes, sorry," the lady continued. "Ma'am, Remy was hit by a car. He's currently fighting for his life." Evelyn's face fell, and her heart dropped.

"He-he is?"

"Yes. We asked if there was anyone that he would like to be here with him. He told us to call you," the lady explained. "But, Evelyn, listen. He's in critical condition. We don't think we can stabilize him." She took a deep breath. "What I'm trying to say is, we estimate that he only has a few hours left to live." Evelyn put her hand over her mouth, her eyes filling up with tears.

"Oh my God. I'll be right there."

———

When Evelyn got to the hospital and saw Remy, her heart shattered into pieces. He was lying there, unconscious. However, the heart monitor was still going, which meant he was still alive. A nurse spotted Evelyn in the doorway and ushered her inside.

"H-how did this happen to him?" Evelyn asked.

"We don't quite know," the nurse told her. "However, we don't think it was an accident. Based on what we can conclude from his injuries, it seems like a targeted attack."

"Oh my God," Evelyn said softly, looking at Remy, tears slipping from her eyes.

"You can go sit by him, if you'd like," the nurse told her. Evelyn nodded and slowly made her way over to the bed, sitting in the chair right beside the rat. Tears stinging her eyes, she took Remy's limp hand in hers.

"H-hi Remy," she stuttered, "I know you can't hear me now, but I want you to know that I'm here. I'm here for you. And I love you, so much." Suddenly, as if by miracle, Remy's eyes fluttered open.

"E-evelyn..?" he croaked out.

"Oh my God, Remy, you're awake!" Evelyn cried, squeezing his hand tighter.

"Evelyn, I..." Remy started, slowly tilting his head up in order to look in her eyes, "I'm so, so sorry."

"It's okay, Remy. I forgive you," Evelyn told him, tears streaming down her face. Remy was silent for a moment, closing his eyes. He then opened them once more and looked at her.

"I love you," he whispered breathily. Then, the heart rate monitor flatlined.