2. Dilwale's Dilemma

Sending me to India?

Was this a new form of exile?

"I don't understand." I frown, wanting more clarity. "If you want to fire me, then say it right away."

"We are not firing you," Oscar said, feeling almost insulted.

"Not now at least." George cuts in. 

"Lewis cracked the deal with the overseas client he has been working on for the past months. It's great news, he's done a marvelous job, we are proud of him. But that was only first step of the project." Old man explained. "Next up is going on site, carrying out a field analysis, developing a project, dealing with the labors, and all of that. We don't need to tell you how to do your job. The bottom line is that we have a proposal in mind, and we'd like you to lead this project." He finished.

"Ok. But why India? And why me?" I demand.

"It's because you have Indian roots and possible relatives as well if I'm not mistaken?"

"No, Oscar, you're not. But I have not visited the country in 20 years. I was a kid the last time I was there, which doesn't make much difference in knowledge. And I am not the only one with Indian roots in our office. Some of which have recently moved from India." I reasoned and took a pause. "So the question still holds, Why. Me?" 

The question rendered a 2-minute-long silence in the room. 

"Count this as the last chance to prove yourself," George said, but I chose to ignore him, keeping my eyes on Oscar who let's out a sigh.

"It's not about the ground knowledge that we are looking for. It's the proposed project itself. We're looking to restore and revamp a historical sight in one of the cities, I can't recall the name of. It's going to be similar to the work you've done in Spain and Turkey for us here."

"We shared a few details with our Indian clients of the mosque project you took up in Ankara, what your vision had been, and how effortlessly you brought alive the forgotten heritage using modern architecture techniques keeping in mind the safety. They were impressed and equally inspired. And Lewis said that is the kind of project they are insisting on. You've done a similar job before, and it has become our pride. I can't risk sending someone else to do the same, when I have my man right here, looking for his next venture."

I mulled over the idea, the wheels in my mind starting to turn. "Do you think the local crowd would be happy seeing one of the sites revamped into a modern building?" I ask slowly, voicing my doubts.

"That's for you to find out."

Bravo! 

So, basically, they have decided to push me off a cliff on a paraglider with a broken harness to see if I make it out alive. How thoughtful.

"You have the weekend to think about it." Oscar piped in. "And I hope you won't let us down."

There we go with the blackmail again!