9. Mazakh

Mazakh

Mazakh.

That's what all of this was. One big lame ass joke that wasn't even funny.

Here I was, taking a major risk of my career, staying in a foreign land, thousands of kilometers away from home, in another place that strangely felt nothing less than home, with people I didn't know existed only 2.5 weeks ago, who treat me like their own, except one. And Allah had to send that one person into my work life as well like her strong presence wasn't enough at home.

Like whhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!

Why me?!

Why her?!

Why us?! US?!

Still, sitting in the office of her boss, I couldn't for the sake of my dignity let the emotions get to my face. Not even the slightest bit.

Seeing each other had been nothing less than a shock, more to me than to her, because she was equally stunned if not more from our run-in. A run-in that could possibly cost me my time, my emotions, and probably the entire project too. And from whatever I've known her in these 2 days, it was highly likely she's not going to like working with me. Which is concerning in more ways than one.

I try and turn my attention to whatever the man sitting across me from the table seemingly gushed about. A sense of pity surged through me for the positive energy he was buzzing with and dread for whatever the future held for us. When the door opened and Muskaan walked in with a masked face, the dread turned into alarm bells and an unsettling feeling had my stomach churning from the look she threw me, moving towards the vacant chair on my right.

I don't want to admit it, but I kind of cowered under her unwavering glare and gulped at the intensity it held.

This tigress is going to shred me into pieces.

A small voice declared inside me, and I quickly turned my head away.

"I say, the two of you should be on the road to give the site the inaugural inspection now." The man says, stirring a sense of panic inside me.

Go on a site inspection with her? Her? From the underlying menace I caught in her smile as she shot me a glance, She might even kill me in the cab and toss my corpse on some roadside for stray animals to feed on.

I give a laugh, trying not to turn it into a nervous one. "I, uh. . ."

"I don't think visiting the site today is a good idea, sir." She says much to my relief. "Instead, we should spend some time on the project itself trying to solidify our idea on paper before jumping right into the implementation step."

I see her boss nodding his head in understanding. I would have done the same had I not known her like I do. There must be a motive behind it all.

But what could it be?