7. Jaani Dushman

Plumber

Plumber.

Is thay what i look like?

A plumber?

Are plumbers as handsome as i am here?

Or did she think I have materialized out of a Sinns' videos?

*scoff*

A plumber? Seriously?

I will take this with me to my grave.

Stepping out the front door, I let it shut behind me and spin on my heel to take a good look at the house.

Was I at the wrong place?

I don't think so because this house seems oddly familiar to me. I know I've been here a couple of times, be it in my childhood but the feeling of this home is etched into my soul.

Perhaps the family has moved to someother house. That could be a possibility. Because none of the faces seemed familiar. But again, something about that man, the girl's father, was sparingly familiar. The stare he gave me sent shivers down my spine that I somehow managed to withstand not wanting to be scared of someone i barely knew.

But that stare. The way he squinted his eyes, scanning me up and down was something else. It felt like i was posing a threat to something he loves dearly and I was going to whisk it away.

Shouldering my bag, I begin strolling towards the gate when I hear someone call.

"Bhaiya!"

Whose older brother have I become now?

I've been in the country for less two hours and Allah miyan, look what is happening.

Throwing my head backward in a groan, I shut my eyes momentarily before twirling around.

And suddenly I was SRK from K3G. The extended cut of the title track began playing in my mind when my eyes fell on the woman standing in front of me a couple of steps away.

'Kiya bebasi hai ye,
kiya majbooriya,
hum paas hai phir bhi kitni hai dooriyan.'

Shouldering my duffel bag, I place one after the other and cover the distance between the front door and me. My heartbeat skyrocketed with every step and I was suddenly transported to the second half of K3G, feeling no less than Rohan coming home to the family he never knew existed.

A lump began to develop in my throat, slowly cutting the air supply to my lungs. I wanted to slap myself when tears filled my eyes because my body was acting the weirdest it has ever gotten.

In front of me were 2 women whose names I couldn't recall despite practicing the whole duration of the flight. The one of the right, was tall, thin and had tears in her eyes just like I did. And without missing a beat, I knew who she was.

"Turkey?" I croak.

The other woman on her left, throws a hand over her mouth. Out of shock, out of joy I couldn't tell. Turkey, a.k.a Saira Mumma choked on a sob when the word registered in her mind. She takes a step my way, her thin arm moving to caress my cheek.