Chapter 13 - So It Begins

"Well, isn't this fun?" Ayan's voice was hoarse, and I could tell he was trying to mask how winded he was from our climb.

"No." Bohai turned and glared at him.

Ayan pulled a humorless expression. "All this time, and you still don't understand sarcasm, Bo-bo. I thought Bree would have trained you better by now."

"Training him is far beyond my skill set." I sniffed, longing for the breeze to mix the stale air which had plagued us for the last two days of endless hiking.

Whether it was throwing a tantrum or was still busy with the task I'd given it, the Wind had been absent since the morning I'd sent it off with Ayan's note. At first, the silence had been a blessing, and I hadn't even noticed the stillness in the air, but that had changed. The atmosphere had grown heavy and murky as it closed in around us, and without the breeze to dry our sweat, we sweltered in our clothes—unable to remove any layers for fear of the biting chill in the air.

"I don't need to be trained in stupidity. The two of you have more than enough." Bohai said loftily, interrupting my thoughts by offering me a flask of water.

"Hah." Ayan scoffed.

"And don't call me 'Bo-bo'." Bohai glared at the other man.

"All of you be quiet." Juniper snapped bitterly. "Now is neither the time nor the place for idiocy: our enemies could be anywhere."

"Now is always the time and place for idiocy—especially when our enemies could be anywhere." Ayan sniffed. "Otherwise, we'd die of boredom before they ever found us." He looked at me and smirked.

"Instead of being bored, maybe you should pay a little more attention to our surroundings." Juniper growled. "Are you even sure we're going the right way?"

"No, of course I'm not 'Sure.'" Ayan shook his head. "I'm Ayan. I thought you already knew my name?"

Juniper did not look amused. "I should have followed my better judgement and killed you before you ever set foot in the Eighth court."

"If you're still aching for it, you can have a try." Ayan stared the faun directly in the eyes.

"Settle down. Both of you." Ha-Won said, releasing a sigh that told me he was beyond exhausted with the group antics. "Ayan, do you happen to recognize the area we're in, or do we need to loop around to get a better look at where we're going?"

"We're going the right way." Ayan's voice was filled with confidence. "I remember this rock." He slapped the rock behind him. "I leaned against it the last time I went this way."

Ha-Won stared at him for a moment. "Have you been using rocks as landmarks to guide us?" He said quietly.

"What else should I have used? The bushes?" Ayan raised an incredulous brow, beckoning to the gray, lifeless expanse of mountain around us.

"I knew it." Juniper looked close to throwing in the towel on the spot. "We should just go back."

"If you'd like to take over being the guide, be my guest." Ayan shrugged.

"Forgive our hesitancy." Ha-Won said smoothly. "But boulders on Krimoa don't exactly have many differentiating characteristics to outsiders."

"Not many." Ayan agreed. "But it might surprise you to know that I planned to come back this way."

Raising a brow, he bent half over and tapped a cleft in the rock he was leaning against. Ha-Won frowned and stooped to look, and I followed suit. On the underside of the rock, safe from rain and inclement weather, there was a smear of blood. My gaze darted back up to Ayan, and knowing how he would feel about it, I struggled to keep my emotions in check.