Chapter 1: Am I hallucinating?

Chapter 1

"I sometimes wish I could go back in time and have a balanced life, where I didn't just focus on my studies but also cultivated a vibrant social life... and maybe even a romantic one?" I sighed deeply, the hospital room's sterile atmosphere amplifying my loneliness.

Sitting alone in this hospital room for days has been incredibly lonely. If only I had put more effort into socializing, perhaps I'd have friends coming to visit or even a boyfriend by my side.

It gets kinda lonely with my family's overseas, engrossed in their own lives, leaving me to fend for myself.

Regret gnawed at me. I wished I'd socialized more before my health deteriorated, so I wouldn't be friendless during this challenging time.

But, at least today, I was getting discharged.

As I finished packing, a knock echoed through the room. The doctor entered to do one final check before allowing me to leave. I was supposed to be discharged earlier, but the lack of a support system at home had kept me here longer, until I was stable enough.

"Miss Walang, you're doing quite well," the doctor reassured me. "Just remember not to push yourself too hard. Take things one step at a time and avoid anything that might worsen your condition." He also give me permission to do somethings that I was initially not allowed to do

With those words, the doctor departed. I was accompanied by someone to carry my belongings, as the extended stay meant I had accumulated quite a bit. Once everything was packed into my car, I finally set out for home.

As the hospital receded in my rearview mirror and the heart of the city came into view, I noticed vibrant Valentine's Day decorations. Couples walked hand in hand, immersed in laughter and love. It struck me that I'd been in the hospital so long that Valentine's Day had arrived unnoticed. Seeing couples never fail to remind me of how single I am.

The traffic stalled, causing me to tap the brakes. Honking horns reverberated, sending painful jolts through my head. Desperate to block out the noise, I covered my ears. Frustrated by the persistent traffic, I turned on some music, though it was barely enough to drown out the honking.

A notification on my phone caught my attention. After so long without internet access, my notifications were overwhelming. Among them, one stood out: "For all those single ladies and gentlemen out there, Cupid is going to find you a match this Valentine's." An advertisement for "Cupid's Match," a Valentine's Day special chocolate.

Having lived through 21 Valentine's Days without a match, I couldn't help but scoff at Cupid's track record. Cupid sure is bad at his job, I mean why is he not doing his job properly.

As the traffic inched forward, I found myself daydreaming about meeting Cupid and compelling him to make me fall in love with a man that was sweet, kind-hearted, mature, supportive, and understanding. A man that's so confident in his masculinity that he is unafraid to be a bit feminine.

I craved an unconventional love story, one born from a series of unexpected events not by merely someone asking me out. I want someone to slowly fall in love with me and actually have a good reason to love me.

Or maybe something straight out of a fairytale a supernatural being falling in love with me or a man defying his presumed lack of romantic inclinations to love me. But these wild fantasies had left me isolated, devoid of friends or a partner.

Caught between wanting something meaningful and fearing disappointment, I wrestled with my expectations. The paradox of having standards but not wanting to set them too high.

My phone rang, breaking my reverie. It was my mother, calling to check on me.

"Are you finally out of the hospital, Aifika?" she asked with concern.

"Yes, Mom, I'm doing alright," I reassured her.

"Sweetie, I'm sorry neither I nor your brother can visit. We wanted to, but our schedules have been overwhelming," she apologized.

I soothed her worries and hung up, my desire for fresh air urging me to take a detour. I parked at a nearby lot, bought warm coffee and meat buns, and settled into a park. As I munched on my food and observed couples strolling hand in hand, I found solace in my own company.

Taking a deep breath, I tried to absorb the serenity of the park, even though today it was unusually raucous. Amid the crowd, one man stood out—a foreigner. With blond hair and green eyes, he exuded an almost ethereal beauty, accentuated by his pristine white attire.

Curiosity piqued, I couldn't ignore the object on his back. As he drew closer, I squinted to see more clearly. Enormous white wings, almost otherworldly, sprouted from his back. I adjusted my glasses, but the vision remained unchanged. I wiped my glasses and looked again, only to confirm my initial observation. He was holding a bow and arrow, which made me wonder if he was cosplaying as Cupid. Could there be a cosplay event underway?

What perplexed me was the lack of attention he drew. In a crowd that buzzed with ordinary people, he stood out like a vivid anomaly. His conspicuousness demanded attention, yet nobody seemed to notice. People wouldn't typically parade around in such elaborate outfits in public.

My bewilderment peaked when he abruptly halted before me, his bow and arrow poised. Was someone taking his photo? My heart raced as he released the arrow. It struck a woman, then another arrow hit a man. Panicked, I attempted to intervene, but the figures remained unscathed, and the arrows vanished.

Confusion gripped me. Was I hallucinating? Fear of being labeled unstable gnawed at me.

" Sir, what are you doing?" I asked him, the foreigner turned toward me, his surprise mirrored in my eyes.

"Can you see me?" he inquired.

Bewildered, I stammered, "What do you mean?"