Chapter 5: Dead

Frustration and embarrassment gnawed at me, Cupid's rejection echoing in my mind. I scowled, annoyed that I had bared my desires to a complete stranger, only to be met with rejection. The audacity of Cupid's refusal irked me. What did he think he was, the ultimate authority on love? I found myself cursing him internally, feeling somewhat childish for being so upset over something like this.

I muttered under my breath, "Cupid is so dumb!" Yet, even as I criticized him, I knew deep down that my irritation was an overreaction. Still, the sting of rejection couldn't be easily shrugged off.

Then, a thought tugged at me, making me pause in my self-directed rant. Why does he have to be so arrogant and annoying, he didn't even bother pretending to be nice. Hm, I guess it's better that way at least he does not mislead anyone, unlike a certain someone I know. Hm.. since when did I became so childish that I'm finding fault on a guy. I guess he's not that annoying I was just annoyed at him.

But wait, I realized, this was only the second time we'd met, and yet Cupid's familiarity with me was uncanny. My initial politeness had given way to impatience. It was odd, almost unnatural, how comfortable he seemed around me, as if he'd known me for ages. Maybe it was a cultural difference—foreigners were known to act differently, and maybe his boldness was due to his identity as a supposed god. However, a niggling feeling lingered. Our interactions, felt unnatural and I can't pin point what. Well, aside from the fact that I somehow am the only one who could see him, or at least the only he knows he did say I was the only one. I wonder why is that.

My thoughts were derailed by a jolt of memory—the cryptic message in the letter: "You are one of Thanatos' people." I swiftly pushed the thought away, feeling a shiver of unease. It was best not to dwell on things that made no sense, right?

With a sigh, I got up and left the confines of my apartment, determined to shake off my thoughts. I descended to the parking lot and climbed into my car, ready to put some distance between me and the bizarre encounter. But as I pulled up to my building's entrance, I noticed a gathering of police officers near the garden gate. My curiosity piqued, I parked the car and approached the scene.

There, among the officers, was Eva, the granddaughter of the elderly couple who owned the garden. She noticed me and hurriedly approached, her eyes wide with worry. "Hey, Aifika, do you know what's going on?" she asked, her voice tinged with anxiety.

I shook my head, equally puzzled. "I have no idea, Eva. Why don't you ask the police? They'd know better."

Eva bit her lip, hesitating. "I'm just too scared to ask them. Could you find out for me?"

Sighing, I approached one of the officers, hoping to find out more about the situation. "Excuse me," I began, "could you tell me what's happening here? Eva, the granddaughter of the garden's owners, is worried."

The officer glanced at me before speaking, his expression solemn. "We received a report from the elderly couple who own this garden. They discovered a deceased individual in their garden this morning."

My heart sank at the news. A dead body? In their garden? I hadn't anticipated such a grim turn of events. "Do you know who the victim is?" I questioned, my voice laced with concern.

The officer shook his head. "Unfortunately, we haven't been able to identify the victim. We're trying to handle this discreetly to avoid traumatizing the elderly couple further."

I nodded, understanding the delicate nature of the situation. Just then, I noticed Eva standing nearby, her face etched with worry. She approached me, her voice trembling as she spoke, "Aifika, do you know what's going on?"

I turned to her and took a deep breath, trying to find the right words. "Eva, there's been a disturbing discovery. The police found a dead body in your grandparents' garden."

Eva's eyes widened in shock, and tears brimmed at the corners of her eyes. "Oh no, this can't be happening," she whispered, her voice barely audible.

I placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, offering support. "Eva, they need your help. They're trying to identify the victim, and they thought you might know him."

Eva's hesitation was evident as she spoke softly, "I'm not good with this sort of thing."

I nodded, understanding her reluctance. "I know, Eva. But they need someone who might recognize the person. Do you think you can help?"

She looked at me with uncertainty before finally nodding. "Fine, I'll do it. If it's for my grandparents' sake."

The police officer approached us and showed Eva a set of pictures. As she looked at them, her face turned pale, and tears streamed down her cheeks. It was evident that she recognized the victim. She whispered, her voice quivering, "It's Ban."

Ban? I realized that must be the name of the gardener. I looked at Eva, concern evident in my eyes. She then asked the police if the man had a scar on his abdomen. When they confirmed it, Eva's grief turned into uncontrollable sobs.

"I'm so sorry, Eva," I murmured, feeling helpless in the face of her pain.

The police officer turned to me and gently said, "I think it's best if you take her away from here. This is overwhelming for her."

I nodded, my heart aching for Eva. I turned to her and softly said, "Come on, Eva. Let's go to my apartment for now. You don't need to be here right now."

Eva wiped her tears and nodded, her emotions still raw. She asked with a shaky voice, "When did he die? He went missing two weeks ago!" The police kept quiet.

Eva's cries turned into anguished sobs, and she suddenly yelled at the police, "Why didn't you find him sooner? Why did it take so long?"

The officer tried to calm her down, but it was clear that Eva was overcome by a mixture of grief, anger, and confusion. "When was the last time you saw him?" the officer asked gently.

Eva's voice was shaky as she replied, "About two weeks ago. It was a Wednesday."

My heart skipped a beat. Two weeks ago, on a Wednesday—that was the same day I had encountered the mysterious figure in black. The pieces of the puzzle seemed to click together in my mind, but I hesitated. Could I really be sure that what I had seen was related to this tragic event? I couldn't be certain. I turned my attention back to Eva, realizing that she couldn't go back to her home in this state.

"Eva, let's go to my apartment," I said gently, placing a hand on her back to guide her away from the scene. She nodded, her tears still flowing, as we walked away from the garden that had suddenly become a place of sorrow and unanswered questions.