II: Right where I'm supposed to be

The salty air hit her nose as Vermithor started his descent. She could feel him rejoicing to finally be back at the place where he last resided with his previous rider. Visenya knew that dragons belonged at Dragonstone. Unbound by the limitations of the Dragonpit or the vast population of King's Landing, here the animals could fly as intended – free and whenever they wished, as high as they wished. Maybe the same reason is why this place called to her as well.

When her feet finally touched the ground, the princess was greeted by Ser Robert Quince – just recently named the castellan of Dragonstone.

"Princess, what an honor it is to have you stay here."

"Thank you for taking such good care of our home, Ser Robert." Visenya could not hide her happiness. The last time she was here, she was but a child, terrified of the coldness and stature of the castle. But now... Now the coldness felt like home; it soothed the fire inside her, and the huge dragon heads sitting on top of the towers were nothing compared to the beast she rode to get here.

"Your chambers are ready, my daughter can escort you to the library and give you a tour of the land if you wish."

"That would be wonderful, Ser. I'll be down in a moment."

Visenya walked through the great hall, admiring the structure and feeling the essence of her ancestry. Each Targaryen generation, back to Aegon the First, walked these halls, flying their dragons above these lands. This was where she was meant to be.

"Your grace, my name is Tyana. I was told you wish to be escorted to the library."

A young girl, the same age as Visenya, she would have guessed, shyly bowed to the princess.

"I'm guessing you're Ser Robert's daughter?" Visenya smiled when the girl rose from her bow. "I'd love to get a tour of our grounds; it's been so long since I was last here. I take it you grew up here?"

The girls started walking along the halls. "Yes, your grace, my whole life. Although, I was born in King's Landing."

"Maybe I ought to give you a tour of King's Landing in return someday," Visenya smirked while looking up at the massive ceilings. "And call me Visenya; I think you and I are going to see each other quite often."

...

"This is—"

"—Aegon's garden," Visenya finished Tyana's sentence. "I've read so much about it, but the books don't do it justice." The girls walked along the trail of tall pine trees. The garden was magnificent: bushes of wild roses, towering thorny hedges; the garden was wild, fit for the name of a conqueror. Fit for Dragonstone. Visenya loved the gardens back at King's Landing, but they were so tame and proper compared to this. This garden looked like it would swallow you if you gave it the chance. She thought about her time spent with Helaena in the gardens back in Kings Landing. She wondered if Alicent would let Helaena visit her here. She would love the peace and quiet in Dragonstone. And there are so many bugs here. She'll definitely have to collect some for her.

"What is your favorite place here?" She finally turned back to Tyana. "The garden is wonderful, and I do spend a lot of time here, especially when it's warm. But to be honest with you, your grace—"

"Visenya."

"Visenya, most of my time is spent in the library." The young girl's eyes lit up. "Tyana," Visenya said warmly, "I have a feeling Dragonstone will feel even more like home with you around."

As the sun began to set, casting a golden hue over the island, the two girls returned to the castle. Ser Robert met them in the courtyard, a warm smile on his face.

"I hope you enjoyed your time in the garden, Princess. Tyana, I trust you've been a good host?"

"Tyana has been an excellent guide, Ser Robert. I'm grateful to have her as my new friend."

The castellan's smile widened. "I'm glad to hear that. Now, it's getting late. Shall I have supper prepared for you both?"

"We'd love that. And after supper, I believe I'd like to spend some time in the library. Tyana assures me it's a treasure trove of knowledge."

"It certainly is, Your Grace," Ser Robert agreed. "Enjoy your evening, and if there's anything you need, don't hesitate to ask."

The princess and her newfound friend made their way to the dining hall, where a hearty meal was waiting for them. They laughed and chatted as they got to know each other better, sharing stories of their childhoods, knowledge of old Valyria, and love for books.

Back in King's Landing, Alicent was furious. "One child. She had one legitimate child and she sends her away to Dragonstone!" The queen was pacing back and forth while Lord Larys listened. "I finally extend a branch of peace, offer her my darling Aemond even after what her savage sons did to him, and this is how she returns my kindness."

"Perhaps this is for the better, your majesty. After all, the plans that are in motion would not work as well if your families were bound by marriage and not just blood."

Alicent stopped pacing. She massaged her neck to stop herself from picking at her fingers or looking at the man that just clearly spoke of treason. But was it treason, really? Her son was the firstborn son. Viserys only named Rhaenyra heir because he didn't think he'd have one. And what has she done to earn the title of queen in all of these years? Mothered three bastards, and raised the one legitimate child to be as wild and unpredictable as the rest of their wretched side of the family. Alicent sighed.

"As long as the King is in good health, let us not worry about the succession yet. When the time comes, all will be clear."

Rhaenyra put baby Joffrey to sleep, and after returning to her chambers she sighed and opened the letter that had come from Dragonstone just a few hours prior.

"My dearest Family, I miss you all already, but I have never been happier here. My heart and soul yearned for this place, and now that I'm finally here, I feel like the only thing missing is you. Ser Quince is a wonderful host and is taking good care of me, and I've already found a new friend in his daughter, who is the same age as I. The beauty of Dragonstone only amazes me more each day. The weather, the people, the library... Oh, THE LIBRARY! Mother, father, how could you have not told me how many treasures it holds!? I spend most of my time there, and not having some of you lot (Hi, Jacearys) bother me, I'm getting through these books like mom does with lemon cakes.

Mother, I hope you are well. I miss you terribly but I know you'll visit soon. In the meantime, please have the sketches of the dresses I sent you made for your arrival, I really want to give one to Tyana for her nameday. How is the newest member of our family? I hope Joffrey is soon big enough to be brought here as well. How is grandsire? And how are the rest of the boys? I love you all dearly, please write everything new that's going on. I'll see you soon. And thank you once more for letting me stay here.

Always yours, Visenya"

Rhaenyra's eyes swelled up with tears. Her only daughter. Gods, how she missed her. But the tears were of happiness, because gods knew that was not how she lived her life when she was 15. No, when Rhaenyra was 15 she had to watch her best friend marry her father, she had to be named heir and always act proper, always be chased by disgusting lords twice her father's age seeking her hand to improve their position. She could not follow her heart, because her birthright was to be the crown. That was her duty. Her daughter would not have to suffer the same fate. She was a dragon. She was so much like her father. Loving her family but always loving freedom just as much. Someday she would tell her. Someday. But not yet. For now, all that mattered was that all of her children were where they were happy. They were all right where they were supposed to be.