VI: Name days and mothers

A week had passed since Daemon and his twins had left Dragonstone to return to Pentos. The goodbye was bittersweet. Although the reunion had been everything Visenya needed, their time together had ended in a turn of events that had changed something in the princess ever so slightly. She had spent most of this week alone. Ser Robert Quince could not forbid his daughter from spending time with Visenya, so instead, he filled her days with so much work that she could not find the time to do so.

"She is a Princess! She has guards, spies that look after her! If anyone harms her - their head goes on a spike! You are just a girl. You are MY daughter. How could you be so careless, child?" Robert paced back and forth while Tyana sat on her bed with her head down, quietly taking in her father's scolding.

"I often go out into the town, and I've never..."

"During the night?!"

"No, no... We just overstayed our welcome. We had so much fun that time was lost on us... I'm sorry, father."

Robert came closer to his daughter and sat down next to her. He put his hand on her shoulder and sighed, letting go of some of his anger.

"Tyana, you are all I have in this world. Everything I do here, everything I work for, is for your sake. Please, I cannot bear to lose you too."

The girl's eyes welled up in tears. In truth, she was terrified. She had never been so close to conflict, so close to death before. She had never seen a fight, not to mention a princess, a girl her age overpower a grown man. Cut him and let him go like a scared pup. All Tyana could do was freeze. Freeze and accept whatever fate awaited her. She wanted to protect Visenya. She wanted to fight, but she could not.

And although the memory of that night was chilling, all she could think of was... Visenya. Visenya protected her. Kept her safe. Defended her.

She wished she had the courage to tell her father that. "Visenya protected me. You need not worry; Visenya will always protect me."

But all she did was place her head on her father's shoulder as a tear slid down her cheek.

"I'm sorry, Father."

Nothing more was said that night.

Just a father and his daughter, sitting in silence. Just a father, grateful that his child was alive and well. Praying to the gods that they protect her when he is not near.

Just a daughter, knowing she could never speak the truth that lies in her heart to her father.

A week had gone by, and today was Tyana's nameday. She woke up like any other day in her room, and as she got out of bed, she noticed a box on the floor.

She came closer and picked it up from the ground. A beautiful, black box, and on it, a note:

"Happy nameday to my dearest friend. Put it on and meet me in the dining hall for breakfast - V."

Tyana's eyes sparkled. She put the box down on her bed and opened it. A gasp escaped her lips.

A dress. An exquisite, magnificent gown, incomparable to any she had ever owned or dreamt of owning. A dress fit for a princess. The beautiful light peach color, encrusted with flowers and diamonds. The material felt as soft as silk in her hands. She examined the dress and hurried to put it on. When she did, she went up to a tiny mirror in her room and looked at herself.

The dress sat just right. It was made for her. The color made her golden-brown skin shine. She could not look away. What had she done to deserve this?

She ran down the hall to the dining hall where Visenya was waiting for her. The maids preparing the table all gasped when they saw Tyana in her new dress. She did not notice. She ran straight towards Visenya, almost tackling her to the ground with her hug. Forgetting all formalities and etiquette, Tyana just could not hold in her happiness and gratitude.