X: Going back

A letter arrived from Driftmark. Veamond Velaryon intended to bring the question of succession of Driftmark to the King and offer himself as a successor. The letter, sent by Baela, reached her father, who had just shared the news with his wife.

""Where is Visenya?" Rhaenyra asked while fidgeting with her rings. 

 "I'd try the crypts. Should I or do you want to talk to her?" 

 "I will talk to Luke. He will not take this well. Get Visenya, tell her the situation in the crypts – she no doubt will be furious. Best she let out her anger somewhere the others can't hear her."

Daemon quickly nodded his head in agreement, kissed Rhaenyra's hands, and went on his way to the crypts, while his wife went to her middle child, the heir to Driftmark.

"Visenya? Are you there?" Daemon shone a torch in the pitch-black hallway. How could a twenty-year-old woman spend her days in a dark, cold crypt by her own choosing was a mystery to him. Then again, the girl was his daughter, no less the granddaughter of his mother, and suddenly everything made a bit more sense.

A deafening silence filled the halls. At the end of the hall, a lean silhouette with long silver hair that almost shined in the dark lingered.

"Daughter?" Daemon called once more, coming closer.

She sighed heavily and turned her profile towards her father.

"I know."

Daemon sighed as well. On one side, from the stress that his family was about to go through. On the other, from relief that he was not the one who had to break the news to Visenya.

"And?"

Visenya stood up and lit a torch that was next to her, which, in turn, lit up all the torches hanging in the hallway. She turned to face her father.

"As long as no talks of bastards reach the walls of the Great hall, everyone will be okay."

"You know that killing a man in front of the court could be considered an act of war."

"That's exactly why no one is going to kill anyone. Did mother already tell Luke?"

"She went looking for him as soon as I found you. We both just found out."

Visenya pursed her lips and turned to go towards the exit of the dungeons with Daemon. He offered her his hand for support, and she took it, the two silently walking up towards Luke's chambers.

"How did you know?"

"Helaena. A month ago, she wrote to me. I didn't know when exactly it would come to fruition, and there wasn't much I could do to stop it, was there?"

"Neither can I."

They approached Luke's chamber and came in to find Rhaenyra consoling her sobbing son. As soon as they heard Daemon and Visenya come in, both Rhaenyra and Luke looked up, and Lucerys ran straight to Visenya for comfort. The princess embraced her brother and sat down with him on the floor, brushing his brown hair with her hand. Rhaenyra came closer to both of her children and hugged them tight. Daemon approached Rhaenyra and signaled to her that they should leave the siblings alone. Rhaenyra stood up, and she and Daemon left Visenya and Lucerys to talk.

The siblings sat for at least an hour in silence. Lucerys getting a bit tired from his shaking and crying, Visenya ever so present, just petting his head and consoling him.

"I am not ready for grandsire to pass. I do not even wish to be lord of Driftmark."

"Don't say that. You'll be an amazing lord someday. But grandsire is not passing anytime soon. You have to defend your birthright just like mother or Jacearys do. It is your duty. And you'll have your whole family there to support you."