Story 2: Your Gaze Always Landed On Me

Ryan sat in the very back corner of the cafe down the street from his apartment. He glanced out the big window that sat at the front of the cafe. He looked at the busy streets, the red, orange, yellow, and pink sky, the people passing by, admiring the beauty of it all, all while sipping his Arnold Palmer. He played music through his headphones, bopping his head to the soft, calm music.

As he was looking out of the window, he spotted someone. A tall, black haired guy walked by the window, walking next to a girl. The guy was so good looking that it drew Ryan's gaze to himself. He watched as the two entered the cafe, and he watched as they began ordering.

They waited a few minutes before taking their order from the hand of the employee and sitting two tables to the left of him. Ryan watched as the two held hands, cuddled, and saw the guy kiss the girl on the cheek. She giggled and did it back.

Ryan rolled his eyes and placed his gaze back out the window. He could hear them giggling and laughing about, and it honestly irritated Ryan to the core. He really wanted to shoot up to his feet and run out of the cafe, but of course, he didn't, he has common sense and manners.

Time flies by, and Ryan checks his phone, reading the time. 7:15 huh? He thinks to himself. Guess it's time to get going. He stands up from his chair, pushes it in, and proceeds to pay the cashier the amount of the drink, and leaves.

He walked out of the cafe and began to lean on the brick wall beside the door, looking through his phone a little, before continuing his way home. As he walked away, he heard the couple from earlier behind him, making him feel very uncomfortable, so he just put his headphones in and continued walking.

When he arrived at his apartment complex, he walked over into elevator, but before the doors closed, he heard someone call out:

"Wait! Leave it open!" And so he did. And he regretted his decision. It was the couple.

"Which floor?" Ryan quietly asked.

"Fifth." The guy replied. Ryan nodded and pressed fifth, but then his finger paused on the button.

Fifth? He lives on the same floor as me? Or is it just the girl?

He shook the thoughts out of his mind and pressed the button. The doors whirred and closed shut before it jerked then began moving. The whole entire time, Ryan could hear them playing around with each other, and he couldn't wait to leave the elevator. He watched as the numbers changed on the screen until the elevator stopped at the fifth floor, dinging as it opened.

"After you." The guy says. Ryan awkwardly smiled and gave a silent 'thank you' before he quickly walked out of the elevator. Once again, he was being followed by the couple. When he stopped at his door, he fished his keys out of his pocket to unlock his door, and when he heard the click of the lock, he opened the door.

But when he turned around to close the door, he noticed the guy getting inside the apartment.

"You sure you don't want me to go out there with you and wait with you for a taxi?" He asked the girl. She smiled and shook her head.

"I'm sure." They pecked each other on the lips before the girl waved and turned, leaving the building. Ryan finally shut the door and walked through the hallway, through the living room, to his bedroom.

He looked at himself in his body mirror that sat in the corner next to his closet door. He rolled his eyes and sighed.

"Another hopeless romance."

A few years ago, Ryan was in a relationship with a girl he really liked. And honestly, she liked him back too, but as their relationship continued, the number of times they argued increased. They were always at each other's throats nonstop, until one day, he found her, laying in the same bed that they had slept together on, she was laying in the bed with another man, making out with him.