The Spear

It took Achilles a considerable amount of time to unlock the hidden secrets within his spear. He and Lord Chiron dedicated countless hours to unraveling its full potential, and finally, their efforts paid off.

As Achilles explained to me, the spear seemed to merge with him, becoming an extension of his very being. It was as if their thoughts became intertwined, with the spear responding to his every intention. It was both eerie and exhilarating, but Achilles assured me that there was no cause for concern.

On this particular day, we found ourselves standing atop a cliff, overlooking a sprawling forest. The air was still, interrupted only by the occasional melodic chirping of birds.

Lord Chiron and I stood beside each other, a safe distance away from Achilles as he prepared his spear. The golden weapon shimmered in the sunlight, its tip almost caressing his face.

"Are you ready, Achilles?" Lord Chiron inquired.

Achilles remained silent, but his poised stance indicated his readiness. With his free hand pointing towards the horizon, he let out a powerful grunt and hurled the spear forward.

The spear came alive, its surface pulsating with energy as it propelled itself into the unknown. The resounding boom that followed shattered the silence, echoing through the air, as if the very heavens had cracked open.

And then, silence descended once more, as we stood there, eagerly awaiting the return of the spear.

"Stay focused," Lord Chiron instructed, his voice calm but tinged with anticipation and excitement.

Gradually, the sound of the spear's approach reached our ears. Achilles extended his arm, prepared to catch the weapon.

"Get ready!" Lord Chiron exclaimed, unable to contain his excitement.

The sound grew closer, and within seconds, Achilles swiftly spun on his ankle, facing the incoming weapon. With a mighty grip, he caught the spear, his face contorted with effort under the scorching sun. His muscles strained, as if his arms might detach from his body, as he fought to restrain the spear's momentum and prevent it from continuing its journey across the world.

Achilles collapsed to the ground with a thud, the impact reverberated through the earth, sending a cloud of dust swirling into the air while the spear continued its flight through the sky. I rushed to his side, ensuring he was unharmed.  Carefully, I helped him to his feet, my hands brushing off tiny rocks and dust that were glued to his his sticky back. 

"Are you alright?" I whispered, my voice hushed with apprehension.

"No! I'm not alright!" he exclaimed, his frustration evident. I couldn't blame him; he had been practicing this maneuver for nearly a week, yet he still struggled to control the spear. Achilles was accustomed to excelling at everything, effortlessly mastering any skill. This failure was a new and humbling experience for him.

The resounding boom of the spear's return shattered the silence once more, prompting Lord Chiron to swiftly step forward, his movements fluid and calculated. With a grace that belied his equine form, he intercepted the spear, his hands gripping the golden shaft with unwavering strength. The sound of the booming weapon reverberated through the air, its vibrations pulsating through my body.

Achilles reached out, his fingertips brushing against the cool metal of the spear. With a deft touch, he deactivated its thrusters, silencing the powerful force that had propelled it through the sky.

"You must learn to speak to it, Achilles. If you simply treat it as a weapon it will continue to act like one. I've told you this already." Lord Chiron admonished.