Chapter 5: Game Start

Sturnosea, Yrha, 21 hours after Translocation

"Quickly, follow me," Mneta urged, her dark skin illuminated by the eerie glow of distant explosions and the haunting cries of unseen creatures echoing in the night.

"This place is no longer safe," she said, her eyes scanning the weary refugees struggling to reach her side.

"Can the soldiers ensure our safety?" one of the Colepterans asked, the beetle-like being coughing lightly from the soot carried by the gusts of wind, remnants of the raging fires behind them.

"They'll provide cover long enough for us to reach the ships," Mneta reassured them, her warm smile a beacon of hope amidst the chaos.

The group hurriedly followed Mneta's lead, their hearts pounding with a blend of fear and anticipation. Above, the skies were alive with mystical jets, their wings adorned with ethereal runes, and their engines powered by old-aged magic. 

As they soared, these enigmatic machines wove spells that danced between realms, leaving trails of arcane beauty in their wake. The jets unleashed their fury upon distant targets, while screeching and terrifying sounds from the unknown darkness heightened the urgency of their escape. Amidst the chaos, Mneta's unwavering confidence and determination offered a glimmer of hope, promising safety and sanctuary aboard the waiting ships.

"How long until they arrive?" another member of the group inquired, turning to her companion, a Kobold named Urturkin. The robed sorcerer gazed into the luminescent glow of a pearl clutched in their scaly hands, then glanced back at the raging firestorm behind them—the most brilliant sight amidst the clouds of ash and dust that merged with dark magical storms, shrouding the landscape in an ominous premature night.

"Only minutes, but fear not, we're not far from safety," Uturkin replied, launching a spell resembling a radiant firework into the air to catch the attention of the soldiers, visible only to his keen reptilian eyes amidst the darkness.

"Why not simply send them a message?" inquired the leader of the Coleopteran caravan.

"We cannot risk their mages eavesdropping on our communication," Urturkin explained succinctly as the caravan quickened its pace, making a determined push towards the protective fortifications that beckoned with the promises of sanctuary, safety, and much-needed respite for their long-strained group of adventurers.

"Haven't got all day, come on!" Ervieatrude's voice boomed, her golden hair gleaming as she emphatically banged on her shield to capture everyone's attention. Her sturdy plate armor bore no sign of the enemy's efforts, a testament to her skill and resilience.

"Show a little more compassion for the meek, Ervieatrude. Allow me to provide for them," interjected Zerus, the automaton cleric. Their singular optic gazed down at their companions with a sense of benevolence before extending a gearwork hand. Channeling power from the beyond, they conjured warm loaves of bread in the hands of the needy and filled empty flasks with water, created by an otherworldly radiance that surrounded them.

"Ytaliana and her kin urge us to be merciful and thoughtful to those who need our aid," Zerus continued, their gaze shifting to the first Flame-folk breaking through the firewall. These adversaries, armored like walking furnaces with dark magic-tainted flames coiling around their bodies, served as allies to the undead. However, fire posed no threat to them, unlike the undead still hindered by the barrier.

"We don't have a lot of time before the Flame-folk get here. We should probably cut the snack short and run," Yvra said, the Elf peering down the scope of her sniper rifle.

"Allow me and Tzynthi to buy some extra time," Zerus said, beseeching the heavens. "Ur-Goddess of the Sun! First of the Elves and mother of warmth, bring forth your wrath from heaven and lay low those who would do your people harm! Smite these creatures of Arkil and save these innocents!" he incanted, the spell making the air rumble for a few seconds before calling forth a stabbing pulse of energy from the heavens. The beam struck the ground in a yellow and white burst as thick as a castle, exploding outwards to vaporize tanks, soldiers, aircraft, and walkers attempting to push through.