Chapter 6: Preachers and Popes Part 2

Rome, 22 hours after Translocation

"We, of the Church, are being inundated with accounts of miracles," proclaimed the American Cardinal O'Malley with a sense of awe in his voice. "The priests are healing the sick and conjuring bread out of thin air. And as if that weren't enough, we find ourselves immersed in an entirely different religious atmosphere than we've ever known before."

His fellow Cardinals nodded solemnly, indicating their awareness of the extraordinary reports that had reached their ears as well.

Curiosity got the better of German Cardinal Reinhardt Marx, and he leaned back in his seat before addressing the Holy Father. "Your Holiness, what do we know about these phenomena so far? It is essential that we act with knowledge, lest we stumble in our course of action."

Pope Francis took a moment to gather his thoughts before responding, a gravity in his expression befitting the seriousness of the situation. "In this land, polytheism reigns, and their deities are tangible beings with visible forms to whom they direct their prayers. These gods openly grant miracles to their priests, and some even claim to have ventured to the 'soul planes,' where their divine entities and the departed are said to reside."

As Francis spoke, a hint of skepticism could be seen on some faces, but the Pope himself remained resolute. He knew the urgency of formulating an immediate papal response and had been diligently drafting his papal bull to address this unprecedented situation.

"Our position now is akin to the early Christians, who once faced the heathenry of the old Empire that once ruled from this very city," the Holy Father continued, his gaze shifting to a map of the world before them. Earth's continents appeared like small dots on the surface of something far vaster and more complex. The ever-shifting political borders made the map difficult to decipher, and there were regions marked as uncharted territories or perilous places no recognized nation dared to rule.

"Surely, some of these faiths are said to have spread across many planets. Nevertheless, we must remain steadfast in our belief that ours is the truest faith and that only one true God exists," asserted Pope Francis, his gaze unwavering as he addressed his cardinals.

Honduran Cardinal Maradiga chimed in with a thoughtful suggestion, "Should we not then hold the position that the deities worshiped in this place are powerful entities, mistaken for divine beings due to the absence of the light of the Father?"

Cardinal O'Malley interjected, his demeanor cautious, "Let us tread carefully in our words. Outright labeling their beliefs as mistaken would likely lead to resistance or even perceive us as a threat."

Observing the unique customs of this foreign realm, Cardinal Gracias from Mumbai pointed out the challenges ahead, "It is intriguing that women serve as priests and priests are allowed to marry in their traditions. These practices may hinder our faith from gaining traction, as they may be reluctant to relinquish such rights. Moreover, their stance on abortion differs significantly from our own, and they firmly believe it to be supported by their so-called Gods."

Acknowledging the complexities of establishing diplomatic relations with unfamiliar nations, Parolin brought up the pragmatic aspects, "Indeed, we face the task of forging relations with numerous new countries, both in our immediate vicinity and beyond. The Vatican might require additional space to accommodate these engagements, but obtaining it from the Italian government may prove challenging."

"I believe a compromise could be within reach," suggested Pope Francis, capturing the attention of all six cardinals gathered around him. "These beings, let's refer to them as entities instead of 'gods,' are not mere abstract concepts that can be disproven or dismissed. They are real, tangible entities with whom one can have face-to-face conversations. I propose that we initiate dialogues with them as soon as possible. Perhaps we can explore the possibility of baptizing one of these entities."