01| The New Guy

CHAPTER 1

I messed up

I messed up.

I always do, the cold concrete beneath me is a soothing reminder of how much pain I'm in. how much pain I'm always in. to be fair this time it was my fault, this morning when i was making the breakfast i got distracted, i saw a bird out the window, a beautiful blue bird. I hadn't meant to burn the toast but it was all too late, the door slammed open just as the crispy black toast popped up and my fate was sealed.

Staring up at the old dilapidated sealing of my i try to blink away the tears just encase Daniel comes back down; he hates crying. I can feel a dampness in my hair which probably means I'm lying in a pool of blood again. I need to get up soon and clean myself up, I don't want the wounds to get infected.

This time was bad, staring at the small bathroom mirror I can see everything. My ribs are a mix of bruising yellows, blues and purples. My body is littered with the little red burns from Sarah's cigarettes. The bleeding was coming from two spots, the first was  previously healed flesh wounds reopened by the kicking. And the second was a new fresh etching carved into my tummy. Worthless.

I grab my trusty rag, once white now slightly tinged pink, Stained with all the horrible memories of moments just like this, some wounds better, some worse. Turning the small faucet on, I run the old rag underneath it. I dab the areas needed as they sting under the dampness.

My basement or my "room" is a small square space with not much in it, but all the things I need and appreciate. In one corner I call my bathroom; a faucet, medium sized grate beneath it and a small cracked yellow bucket turned upside down, a perfect little table for my little rag and my small mirror. Storage and a bucket, a two in one, quite innovative if i say so myself. In the next corner is my grand library consisting of a whopping two books! My pride and treasures. Little Women by Louise May Alcott and The Oxford English Dictionary.

In the next corner, like a dilapidated thin worn mattress, only a single with no pillows or blankets. That was my bed. I have never been so grateful to have it, though. I still remember the nights where I sleep on the cold, hard sticky concrete.

And finally my least favourite, "his corner". The cold eerie corner always sends chills down my back, just by the air around it. Daniel's favourite corner, he's done all his best. Or should I say his worst work. Every broken bone aches, cuts burn and bruises throb at the memories of what he's done.

After cleaning myself up, I ready myself for the rest of the day. Knowing what's next I stand myself at the bottom of the basement stairs, staring up at the white crisper door. Counting the seconds, right on time a shadow appears over the slither of light escaping from under the door.

Counting the seconds 1,2,3. Too heavy bangs echo through the basement to que their need for me to assist them. Two fulfil the only job I'm good for, bustling beers and snacks between all the guests.

It's always the same five people; Daniel's two best friends, Marcus a touchy alcoholic, Dominic the literal definition of a man whore and the third whatever girl she's sleeping with. And of course Daniel and Sarah.

Arriving upstairs, I head straight to the kitchen. Hearing the loud commotion from the living room I reach under the sink and grab out my tray. Loading the tray I put to Bowls filling up with whatever chips are in the cupboard and pairing them with a dip. The five usual beers. Three coronas into bud lights.

Balancing this all on the one tray, I head out to the living room, keeping my eyes as close to the ground as possible, without tripping myself. The last thing I want to do is connect straight eye contact with somebody. That would be signing my own death warrant.

Luckily, they always say in the same spot, so it's always easy to place the beers down next to each person. I placed a Corona down next to Dominic and he cried slightly in his sort of subtle way of saying, thank you. Dominic has always been the nicest. Then placing a bad life in front of Sarah and Dominic's new girl. Next placing a Corona down next to Marcus, I try my best not to flinch as I can feel his hand slide up the back of my leg.

Lastly I place the snacks in the middle and place a beer next to Daniel. Just about to leave I flinch hard as Daniel grips my bruises the rest and Yanks me back in front of him. I feel the sting on my cheek from the quick slap he gives me before I even have time to react.

"Are they actually blind? Can you not count? Or a u just stupid!" Daniel spits, looking up, I realise what he's talking about. I hadn't even noticed that next to pervy Marcus a man.

The man in question, stuck out like a sore thumb. His cleanly pressed clothes created such a contrast against the rest of the trashy ensemble. His hair was neatly combed and his body seemed more toned and healthy.

Muttering a small apology, I made the mistake of looking up at Daniel, who stares pure hatred back at me. I know I'll get punished for this afterwards.

Running back into the kitchen, I grab another Corona putting it open before taking it back out to the man. apologising once again to the man, he looked up at me with a small smile. As if to tell me, he didn't mind my mistake.

A few hours had past and the rowdiness had slightly subdued due to the consistent alcohol. The new mystery man had stopped after one beer, but they haven't stopped the rest from continuing.

As I was about to bring out the next round of food and drinks, before Daniel clicked his fingers at me and gave me a knowing glare. I knew what this meant. It meant that it was time for me to go back downstairs as it was time for them to get out there, white dust.

I wasn't sure what the white dust was, I just knew I really hated it. Whatever it was that controlled the whole body. It made Dominic more droopy, Marcus, even more touchy and Daniel irrevocably dangerous.

Took my leave back to my basement, this was one of the small rare moments I could have a small nap.

- - - - -

Heyy Guys,
Sorry for the slow start, hope you guys enjoy the chapter. I'm going to try to update more often x