03| The Call

Alessandro POV

Two a.m.
My eyes burn as I feel the tiredness fight its urge to look away from the glowing screen of my laptop. So many files and shipments to sort through. Nothing overly complicated or important but just enough to keep me busy throughout the early morning.

*bzzz bzzz*

The soft echo of my phone vibrating against the wooden desk drew my attention from work.
Unknown number. Normally I wouldn't answer, any call that important would call back at a decent time and any urgent work related calls came through specific numbers. Something about this call was begging for me to answer. Call it a gut feeling but I knew I had to pick up.

"H-hello," a timid female voice came through the speaker. I stayed silently waiting to see if this call was worth my time.

"Is this Mr. Romano?" She squeaked. I rolled my eyes.

"This is he, and I'm sure you're well are of the time?," I snapped, getting impatient with her already.

"Yes sir! Sorry but this is of utmost importance sir." She continued. "We have had a young girl recently come into our custody. No older than 12 Sir."

I felt myself freeze for a moment before coming to my senses.

" And what does this have to do with me?" I barked.

"We believe she may be your sister Sir," she confirmed my suspicions. I knew this couldn't possibly be this easy though. A long time ago our baby Sorellina was stolen away from us. She had been kidnapped from the hospital just over 9 years ago. Seeing our father was a very big influence in the public eye, being one of richest men in America. This caused our little sister's disappearance a national mystery. Since then we've had almost hundreds of young girls forced by their parents to come forward claiming to be the missing princess and heiress to the billions.

"With what evidence exactly?," I queried, fully expecting the usual 'gut feeling' or 'we know just by looking at her' lines told but many social workers and police officers.

"Her DNA results Sir." My heart fluttered as it skipped a beat, as my stomach started doing somersaults. I tried my best to contain any and every emotion I could. Was this it? Was he about to get his Bambina back?

"I'll be down immediately," I snapped, hanging up the phone as quickly as I could.
———

Illyana's POV

Sleep has never been a good friend to me. It was always a distraction to my own survival. It felt like the second I drift off I'd be awoken by a beating. One way worse than the others with a little way to defend myself, being caught so off guard.

It only happened a couple of times, before I learnt my lesson. I found myself allowing myself to sleep maybe one or two hours in the early mornings, most nights I forced myself awake.

And clearly I haven't learnt my lesson very well. Once again I find myself waking up in confusion and fear but this for a completely different reason.

The aching in my head feels like a drum, I must've hit my head or knocked out. I don't remember much of what happened. I just remember hiding in his corner, after that is wiped clean from a memory.

Looking around the room I'm situated in. I realise this is the first time I'm sitting on a comfy couch, it's soft and black. And it's nothing like the couch that's filled the stains of who knows what back at the house.

The room I meant seems more like an office, and a lot fancier than I've ever seen one. The floors are clean wooden planks. The walls are lined with medals, certificates and awards with a clear glass desk centred in the middle.

I was too struck by awe to realise someone was entering the room. The creek of the door handle snapped me out of my trance as feel rushed over move as I realised I had no idea where I was or who was out there.

I wanted to go to this office. Would I be mad that I was sitting on the couch getting my coffee think is roll over there perfectly clean furniture.

A clearing of the throat induced me to turn my head towards the person. It was him. The new man. He seemed a lot friendlier, yet more professional with us freshly pressed police officers' suits.

"Sorry I didn't mean to scare you," his voice was tender and sweet, and for some reason sensed no malice intent. Not wanting to show my fear or be rude I decided to slowly uncurl myself from my seat to sit straight up.

"I'm Evan, I'm a detective. What's your name sweetie?" He smiled kindly, warming my heart ever so slightly.

"I-Illyana, um... or Illy," I stuttered trying my best not to show my fear. He seemed to understand I was trying my best so he continued.

"We'll Illy I will let you know some good news, we've arrested your foster parents," He claimed, cringing slightly at the Foster part. Foster? They weren't my real parents?

"And by doing a DNA test, we were able to locate some relatives, who are absolutely ecstatic to take you into their care!" He beamed. I have other family members? Till about a minute ago I didn't even know Daniel and Sarah weren't my real parents.

I wish you don't hate me, but why keep me if I wasn't even theirs? The sad thought dawned on me. Another scary thought dawned on me. Who is this other family? Would they be just like Sarah and Daniel? What if they felt obligated to take me in, and in reality, I secretly hate the fact that they have to take in a poor broken orphan.

" they're your brothers, from what I heard they've been searching the world for you," he smiled reassuringly. Sensing my impending anxiety, he moved closer. Dragging his wheeler chair to tight in front of me, grabbing my shaking hands and he continued.

"we can meet them, and if you don't feel safe or they scare you. You don't have to go with them.
You don't have to do anything you don't want to anymore. I promise you that much.
At anytime you feel unsafe and you want to bail leave straight away. I just ask is that you meet them first. I've got a feeling this is the change you need. You need to feel the love you deserve."

Looking deep into his forest green eyes I could feel my heart swell with warmth as I stood there shocked. No one has ever been this nice to me. Let alone give me options to make me feel comfortable. A new level of comfort formed near this man. For the first time in my entire life I felt as thought I could really trust this man and for no reason but that alone I found myself nodding to his request.

- - - - - - - - - -
Hope you enjoyed 😄