Chapter 15

Locke was just wrapping up his latest and longest report to the commander when he heard quiet footsteps approaching the open doorway. He sat back and turned to face his visitor, waiting expectantly for her to speak first.

"You called her by her name yesterday."

Alia crossed her arms, shoulder pressed against the doorframe as Locke leaned back in his chair. He regarded her impassively, eyes dark.

"Did I?"

She nodded.

"When you saw the dragon, you called her Breana."

He said nothing, gaze lingering on the loose braid draped over her shoulder. She sighed, uncrossing her arms and stuffing them into the pockets of her sweatpants.

"I assume I'm not getting kicked out of the program for kissing you, then? If Bree can fail two exams and still manage to bond with a dragon, kissing your team leader is just water under the bridge, right?"

The ghost of a smile toyed with his lips.

"That's up to me, Bennett. Normally you would just be reassigned to a different team lead, though—not kicked from the program altogether."

She sighed.

"Well, I don't know what the rules are anymore. Team One seems to make them up as they go."

He stood, crossing the room until there were inches of space between them, and she stared at the smooth hollow of his throat, cheeks flushing as he reached forward with a hand, barely grazing her hip as it passed, and gripped the handle of the door behind her, pulling it closed.

His gaze moved over her face, and she felt the heat behind it as he ever so gently tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, fingers sliding down her braid.

"It takes a lot to be a Rider, Bennett. Strength," he paused, voice lowering. "Resiliency..." he dropped the braid, fingers moving to her chin. He tilted her face up until her eyes met his. "The Corps losing your skill over one kiss would be a waste, to say the least."

Her blush deepened.

"What about two?" she whispered, eyes lowering to his lips. She leaned closer to him, heart pounding so erratically she was sure he would be able to feel it through the thin fabric of her sweater, and suddenly his hand was on her chest, firmly pushing her back into the wall. She stiffened in surprise, but when her gaze flew back to his she was met with a dangerous smile that made her knees slightly weak.

He tilted his head until his mouth was right next to her ear, dark hair brushing against her cheek. His fingers splayed across her chest felt like flames against her skin.

"Graduate, Alia," he murmured in her ear. "Become a Rider, then ask me again."

-

Bree glanced up from her writing as Locke opened her door, no longer bothering with knocking since Sinclair had demolished half of the room. The dragon was currently perched on the balustrade of the balcony built into the opposite wall, and Locke had the distinct impression he was interrupting something as he warily eyed the scuff marks on the ruined balcony doors. At least the feral beast was technically outside this time.

"There's someone I want you to meet," he told her, and she slid to her feet, the warped bedframe groaning with the movement. She glanced at Sinclair and he snarled at her, making Locke's hand fly to his sword. She seemed unconcerned, shrugging as the dragon leapt from the balustrade with a derogatory hiss and disappeared over the edge a moment later.

"How did the meeting with the commander go?" he asked as she pulled on her boots and walked through the door he held open for her.

"Not great. Sinclair was a no-show."