Chapter 12 | Midnight Kisses

Ewan's heart was pounding out of his chest. He sucked in a sharp breath through his clenched teeth, then forcefully exhaled. He crumpled the missive in his right hand, and chucked it into the fire. The spy he had sent out to track down his brother has located him. The report read: married. Child on the way. Settled. Ewan never wanted the responsibility and burden of being Laird- and now that the mantle rested upon his shoulders, he felt he may crumple into pieces from the weight of it all.

He was mad at his brother for abandoning his responsibility, but he couldn't blame him for following his heart. Ewan surmised that his father must have already received the same report, from his own spy. His father was a tactful politician, something Ewan feared he would never be. His father had installed him as heir of castle MacDonald and saved the alliance without so much as tainting his brother's good name. The respect and reverence Ewan had for his father made his chest constrict. Could he ever fill those shoes?

He unlatched the door to his quarters and turned into the hallway. The torches were lit, casting eerie shadows onto the stone floors and adjacent walls. The windows ushered in the chilled night air, beaconing him to come out doors. He listened to the pull. He quickly found himself in between the north and south watch towers, his favorite place to go when he needed to clear his head. The highlands glowed beneath a yellow moon. The harsh wind howled as it blew across the fierce terrain.

His eyes adjusted as the moments passed in the pitch black darkness. Out of the corner of Ewan's eye he saw a cloaked figure standing against the ledge. He quickly unsheathed the dagger strapped to his hip, the cold steel licking against his palm. With one hand he angled the dagger and with the other he clasped onto the cloak. A feminine gasp echoed. Aili's face poked out beneath the hood of her blue cloak. Fear widened in her eyes as she took in the dagger pointed to her chest.

When realization hit him, he resheathed his dagger, but he kept holding onto her arm. "Just because you don't want to marry me doesn't mean you have to kill me," Aili spit at him. Her words stung him sharp like a sword. Aili shifted her eyes to where Ewan still gripped her firmly on her upper arm. "Do you mind?" Another blow to his pride. "I do mind, actually," He retorted. With his right hand he gripped her other arm and spun her fully towards him. He lifted her as easily as a raggedy doll onto her toes and craned his chin down to meet her lips. He fervently pressed his lips against hers, savoring how soft and plump they felt against his. She elicited a soft moan into his mouth, whether from the shock of it or from pleasure, Ewan did not know. Her shoulders eventually relaxed and he felt her melt into him. Her mouth opened wider inviting him to deepen the kiss. He explored her mouth with swipes of his tongue and was pleasantly surprised when her own tongue flickered back.

They both pulled away for air after what seemed like an eternity. Aili's cheeks were blazing red, which Ewan could see even in the darkness that draped over them. "Does it still seem like I don't want to marry you?" Aili starred up at him stunned. Her chest heaved as she fought to caught her breath and gather her thoughts. "But earlier... you seemed... displeased with your fathers announcement." He leaned forward and placed a chaste kiss on her forehead. Then, he gripped her delicate shoulders with his palms and leaned in close to her. His eyes peered into her bright blues. Stars reflected out of them, making them shimmer. "The only displeasure I have is that I will now be responsible for every woman, man, and child in Macdonald territory. It is a responsibility I never thought I would have to bear. But marrying you? I could never be displeased with you." Ewan dropped his hands and turned around. He left Aili puzzled and breathless, gripping onto the stone wall in front of her as soon as he turned around.