Prologue

7 Years Ago

____

Violet

July 25, 477 I. Y. (Imperium Years)

I wake up with a tired yawn. For some reason there is this dreading feeling at the pit of my stomach. Then it hits me. My parents are leaving today. Just a day ago both my parents were chosen to go into the 'Outside World'. Nobody except the Imperium and the people that were drafted to go there knows what is out there.The Outside World is supposed to be like a paradise. And my mother and father were very excited to finally be going to the Outside World. I mean who wouldn't? It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. Sure, I was excited for my parents but (1) I wasn't drafted to go with them, and (2) I had an unpleasant feeling about this apparent paradise.

I decide to ignore the nagging feeling at the back of my mind and focus on being happy for my parents. Walking downstairs I spot my mother and father eating breakfast, with multiple suitcases by their side. They both look up from whatever they're doing, giving me slight smiles. All I can do is stay frozen in my spot and stare at them. Their smiles fade quickly once they realize I haven't said anything.

"Morning sweetie," my dad says trying to get rid of the awkward silence. Before I could compose myself and reply, a high-pitch beep sounded from somewhere on the table.

"It's time to go!" my mother exclaims, rushing to clean up the dishes. She stumbles on the way to the sink and the plates slip out of her grip. Too distracted by the fact that she gets to go to 'paradise', she maneuvers her way around the remains of shattered plates and rushes back to grab her suitcases, rapidly heading in the direction of the door. My dad, unlike my mom, grabs his bags and walks towards the door - which, might I add, is behind me - at a leisurely pace.

Ignoring me like... like I wasn't there, my mom shoves past me and walks through the door. You can just tell how much she loves and cares about me. My father however, shoots an apologetic smile towards me. I shrug and move out of the way so he can get through, I'm used to this anyways.

My mom had always wanted a boy for her kid, but surprise surprise, she ended up getting a girl. Me. Throughout my life, she was always distant when it came to me. She would never really talk to me, or spend time with me like regular moms do. For some odd reason, it didn't bother me much. Perhaps I got used to the absence of a mother-like figure. I still love her nonetheless. And I'm pretty sure she still loves me anyways. My dad on the other hand, was like my best friend. We'd always talk and spend a lot of time together. I think I'm going to miss him more than I'm going to miss my mom.

"Goodb-," I start. But the door slams shut behind my dad before they hear me. I sigh and sink to the ground. We got to say our goodbyes and anything else we needed to say yesterday. We weren't allowed to say anything more than 'goodbye' the day someone leaves for the Outside World. Why? I'm not sure. Despite saying everything I wanted to say yesterday, I still felt like something was missing. Like one page was ripped out of a book. Your probably just being paranoid. It's just nerves. They said that they would visit you once a month for two days to catch up on things. I remind myself. Somehow I think this would reassure me, but so far, it's not working.

What happens to me now? I get sent to some random family that I know absolutely nothing about. Yet they pretty much know everything about me from the files the Imperium provided them with. If that family doesn't work for you, you get sent to another one. Simple as that. It's basically like you're a pawn in their game. A game I'm not really in the mood for right now, considering my parents just walked out of my life. I comply anyways and get in the car that was waiting to drive me to my new 'family'.

∞ ∞ ∞ ∞

1 Year Later

____

July 25, 478 I. Y.

It's been one whole year since my parents left to go to the Outside World. My new 'parents' were Haley and John Mateson, I was their only kid. Thing is, I haven't spoken to my original parents since the day they left. Well if part of a word counts as actually talking. It bothered me for a bit, but eventually like always, I got used to it. At first, I thought nothing of it. They're simply too distracted by the wonders of paradise. I kept telling myself. As the year progressed I got more and more suspicious. Thinking I was being foolish, I pushed the thoughts to the back of my mind and walked downstairs for breakfast. But boy, was I wrong.

There were two men who were practically identical. Both looked quite muscular and frankly I was utterly frightened.

"Erm, h-hello," I managed to say.

My 'parents' came from the kitchen and walked towards the two men. "Morning sweetie, these two men have, um, something to tell you," I flinch when my 'father' says morning sweetie. Those were the last words my father ever spoke to me. I attempt to hold back the tears threatening to spill over, but one tear escapes and snakes its way down my check. I wipe it away roughly not wanting them to see.

One of the men speaks without hesitation once it's silent, "I regret to inform you that both your mother and father, Amelia and Ethan Olson, have passed away. I give you my condolences Ms. Mateson." He said this with no emotion at all.

The world around me spins into a blur of colors. This isn't real. This isn't happening. I fall to the ground clutching my head and scream. "NO! NO! NO!" I sob, tears falling from my cheeks to the ground. I block out everything around me. Black spots prick my vision and I feel dizzy. They're gone.

I can't hear anything. My thoughts jumble together. Everything becomes nothing. And the world slips from my grip, blackness replacing it.

_______________

So first chapter: done! Probably got like a million more. I hope you like the story so far, it probably sounds pretty boring right now, but hopefully it'll become better! ;)

Also, I apologize if it's in some weird spacing format thing wherever you're reading this, Wattpad is kinda glitchy these days :)