Amelia's Confession

Eris

I sat in the family tree room of number twelve Grimmauld Place, tracing my fingers over the deep lines connecting centuries of wizard blood. Every now and then I would come across a burn mark indicating someone who, in Mrs Black's mind, had disgraced their bloodline. It amused me that the old woman had been so vain but if her portrait is anything to go by then she's certainly not the sort of person who I would enjoy to spend time with.

The door creaked open and I spun to face it, in the doorway stood Deanna Blackwell, one of my closest friends and my partner in crime for our newest mission. Her black hair cascaded down her back and she grinned widely.

"What are you doing?" She laughed, looking at me sitting alone on the dusty floor.

"Just checking out the details for our new assignment" I shrugged "unfortunately there seems to be a problem"

"What's that?" She chirped, moving to stand behind me.

"She doesn't exist" I frowned.

For a moment we just stared at one another, then we simultaneously broke into giggles.

"Why would they give us someone who doesn't exist?" Deanna managed to ask between laughter.

"I don't know" I sighed, turning back towards the family tree "I was sure I hadn't missed anything"

"Move over" Deanna laughed, pushing me aside "where are we looking?"

"Start here" I pointed "the three sisters: Andromeda, Narcissa and Bellatrix"

"I can read, you know" she smiled, studying the tree "this is odd... The only Lestrange daughter on here is Alice"

"Like I said, she doesn't exist" I mumbled.

"Maybe there's a mistake" she suggested.

I shook my head "I've checked out birth records, school records, bank records. Nothing. No Amelia Lestrange, no Mia, Leah, Amy or any variant of the name you could use" I sighed, passing a stack of Parchment to her.

"Perhaps she's adopted" Deanna mumbled, a frown creasing her forehead.

Smiling, I shook my head again "the description Sirius gave me is too similar to Alice to be an adopted child, besides I really can't imagine the Lestranges wanting to adopt some random child who may not even be Pure Blood" I said, putting on a shocked voice.

Deanna rolled her eyes, then a new expression lit her face "I know!" She exclaimed "it must've been Alice all along. She must have tricked Sirius into thinking that she had a sister, Eris don't you think that's something she would do?"

"Sounds plausible" I nodded "the others will be here soon. We can discuss it properly then"

"Whatever, you're covered in dust" she stated, gesturing to my formerly clean jeans.

I smiled, getting up and brushing myself off. I hated this house, I don't know what it was but it freaked me out, perhaps it was the screaming portrait of Mrs Black or the decapitated heads of house elves that were displayed on the walls. I just hated being here. Unfortunately it was the only place the Order had where we could remain hidden. The Order were like family to me and I was their best spy, Deanna and I made the perfect team to find out anything they might wish. Deanna usually worked within the ministry and we had completed our Auror training together, unknown to my father of course. He would flip if he found out. For a while I thought about my father, he was a strange man, ridiculously proud of course. After mother disappeared he forbade me ever to speak of her, he was ashamed of her yet I was sure he had at least loved her, maybe when he ignored the fact that she was a Muggleborn he had loved her. There must have been something that brought them together, though what it was I fear I shall never know. I have often wondered what happened to my mother, where she is now, why she left or even if she did leave. I couldn't understand why she would have left me with him. I felt betrayed that she would leave yet not offer me the same chance of escape that she had, it hurt but I still loved her, I still wished she could turn up one day and take me away. I wished that she would come back for me but after five years without so much as a letter I've almost given up hope.