One Step Ahead

Xander

Each day I waited, anxious for a reply to my letter. Feelings overwhelmed me, a whirlpool of emotion: doubt, worry, fear, anxiety, love. For a week I waited and nothing came, I feared that she was dead or worse. I considered going to look for her but realised I didn't know where to start. I was completely and utterly lost.

One morning I sat alone in the kitchen of our house, my head on the table, on the verge of sleep. My parents and Roxie were out at the theatre; Roxie loved the sounds and magic of plays and the theatre was her weekend treat. The warm afternoon sun shone through the wide bay windows and warmed my body making me more sleepy.

Suddenly a loud crack sounded and I jumped up brandishing my wand in the direction of the noise.

"Who's there? Show yourself" I said raising my voice.

A trembling high pitched voice squeaked in response "I mean you no harm good sir, Missy is only here to deliver a message"

Peering over the tabletop I glimpsed a small elf, holding her thin hands in the air. Her wide golden eyes stared up at me innocently.

"Missy has come from Mistress Amelia" she squeaked.

"Amelia" I breathed, closing my eyes absorbing the feeling that her name aroused in me "is she okay?"

"Mistress Amelia has asked me to inform you that she is unable to contact you by owl or letter due to certain restrictions. As to her health, by her report she is 'fine' she asks you not to worry but begs need of your counsel in a matter most grave in nature" the elf reeled off the speech as though it was something she had practised many a time and I smiled at her response.

"When will she meet me?" I enquired eagerly.

"She cannot" the elf muttered, shaking her head sadly.

"What do you mean?" I growled "Why not?"

"That is not Missy's place to say sir" the elf whispered and though her voice was lowered she did not back down or cower from me.

"How am I to contact her then?" I muttered, throwing my arms in the air as an expression of my exasperation.

"Missy can take messages for you" the elf squeaked.

"Hmm..." I paused a second, thinking "wait here"

I rushed towards my room and pulled open one of the drawers searching through some of the old things in there until I came across what I was looking for: my old phone. It was chunky and heavy in my hand but with a few modifications it could be perfect, muttering some spells I shrunk it and made it sleeker, easier to conceal. I returned to the kitchen to find the elf exactly where I had left her, completely still.

"You can sit down if you want" I offered. Looking at me in shock she shook her head and a confused look clouded her eyes "House elves do not sit with wizards sir" she stated her eyes never leaving mine.

"And why not?" I retorted "am I not good enough for you to sit with?"

"No, no, sir you misunderstand me: House elves are not equal to wizards, they are not permitted to be treated above a common slave. Missy is a servant sir, not a friend" she explained, pulling in her ears as she did so.

"Oh" I breathed, shocked that slavery still existed in this world and that this elf was Amelia's servant. Confused questions buzzed through my mind, each question leading to a dozen more, spiralling out like a drop of water that falls in a puddle until I could think no more.

"Give her this" I mumbled, passing the modified phone to the elf "it's programmed with my number and my number only, on the sticker on the back there's some instructions in invisible ink for her, okay?"

The elf nodded once then smiled softly "Missy has other people to visit, sir" she muttered, removing some letters from her pocket "Missy must leave now"

"Wait!" I shouted, grabbing the elf by the arm "You said Amelia couldn't write to me"

"That is correct, sir" she said, impatiently trying to detach herself.

"Then who are those letters for? That's her handwriting isn't it?" I asked, confused.

Worriedly she looked down at the envelopes that she held in her dainty hands "That is none of your business" she huffed, pulling away and disapparating with a loud crack.

I shook my head dejectedly, the elf didn't tell me anything useful. The only thing I learnt from her was that one of the letters was addressed to 'The Gryffindor that defied all'. Who this 'Gryffindor' was I had no idea, they could be anyone for all I knew. The other was far simpler, only one word: cousin.

Hastily I grabbed some clothes and bits and pieces and shoved them into an old rucksack, then I scrawled a note onto a scrap piece of paper telling my parents that I was going to stay with a friend. Which was true, in a way. There would be friends where I was headed though they were not my reason for going. Calling my owl from his perch, I made to leave taking a last glance at my home. I hoped to come back here soon, I told myself that I wouldn't be long. Closing my eyes, I spun and apparated.

As I landed I tripped and fell, causing me to roll down the hill bruising most of my body in the process. When I reached the bottom I got up, rubbing my aching joints to ease the pain. A tall structure stood before me, a house that had been altered and expanded by magic. The building itself leant slightly to the left, giving the impression that it might fall at any moment but I knew better. It had stood for this long so it was unlikely that it would collapse today.

In the garden many plants grew and little gnomes ran among them squealing in delight. The sun glared at the house as though it hated its iron resistance and very few clouds graced the sky. In the windows I could make out a few ginger heads talking and arguing. I smiled at the liveliness of the place.

Tentatively I made my way up the path, pausing before knocking.

"Fred! Get the door!" I heard from inside, then a second voice.

"I'm not Fred, he's Fred"

"Sorry George, will you get the door?"

"Only joking, I am Fred"

A beaming Fred opened the door, still laughing at his most used joke.

"Hey" I greeted him.

"Xander, come in" he smiled "mum's just making biscuits"

"And they're for later!" The voice of Molly Weasley echoed from the kitchen "ah, Xander dear, Fred didn't tell me you were coming" she said sweetly, shooting a quick glare at Fred.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Weasley, I didn't tell him, I was in the neighbourhood" I lied smoothly "actually I was wondering if Mr Weasley was here"

"Oh, I'm sorry dear but he's still at work, he'll be home soon" she chirped "why don't you stick around for a bit?"

"If its not too much trouble" I smiled, knowing that Arthur would almost certainly know what I wanted to find out.

I'm one step ahead of you Amelia.

~

A/N: Geez, this chapter took me forever to write, I find it really hard to write guy's P.O.V's but I hope I did it okay. Thanks to everyone out there reading :)

This is dedicated to the amazing @DreamingOfFreedom who made the beautiful banner that will be at the side :)

Please comment vote and fan :)