Rooftops & Moonlight

"You shouldn't be up here."

I climbed through the window even if it seemed like I shouldn't, "I don't think you should either," I fired back, carefully walking across the flat roof.

Mili gave me a narrowed look as I sat down beside her, "This is my friend's house—he's cool with me hanging up here," she explained, focusing her attention back on the unrolled blunt on the tray that rested on her lap, "What's your excuse?" she asked me, carefully tapping some of the weed from the grinder into the wrap.

I remained silent, knowing I didn't have an excuse.

That I just wanted to follow her.

So I purposely left the question unanswered as I stared out at the distant city of LA.

"Your girlfriend's texting you."

I immediately looked down at my phone, noticing Cam's name illuminating my lock screen.

Easily making me remember that I was supposed to text her when I made it.

"She's not my girlfriend," I told Mili as I texted Cam back, telling her I had just made it.

I hated how defensive the statement sounded coming from my mouth.

Mili raised a brow, still staring down at the tray, "The way she was touching you says otherwise," she pointed out.

I sat my phone down beside me, giving Mili my full attention, "You were looking?" I questioned, hoping to divert the attention onto her.

Mili looked over to me as she brought the unrolled blunt to her lips, "Kind of hard not to," she said.

I gave her a narrowed look, wondering what that even meant—but before I could ask the question, my eyes suddenly darted down to her lips that were rolling the blunt precisely.

The action was so unintentionally attractive.

The way she curved the unrolled blunt between her plump lips, rolling it together perfectly.

The sight alone made so many inappropriate thoughts spring into my head, easily making my face grow warm.

"Don't look at me like that," Mili said, forcing my eyes to dart back up to hers.

I quickly diverted my attention back to the distant view of the city in front of me—knowing it was better to not look at her at all.

"I see you came with Alyssa," I said, sighing slightly as I leaned back against the flat surface.

I could suddenly feel Mili's eyes on me, "That's a really good observation," she said, but it was clearly sarcastic.

I shrugged to myself, still not bothering to meet her stare, "I thought you didn't like her?" I boldly asked, and the fact that I didn't think the question through was definitely due to all those shots I had.

And out of everything I expected Mili to do it definitely wasn't—

Laugh?

Even if it was sarcastic, it still threw me for a loop, especially since the sound was so beautiful.

I wonder what her real laugh sounded like.

"You don't get to do that," she determined.

I finally met her intense stare, which easily sent me for a loop, "Do what?" I questioned.

Mili narrowed her eyes, "Act like I didn't offer something more," she explained.

And when the statement clicked in my head and I finally realized she was talking about the secret arrangement she had offered me—I felt a rough fire coat my stomach.