━━ iii. cutting deep

chapter 3— cutting deep { 2x01 - Rain drops keep falling on My Head }

chapter 3
cutting deep
{ 2x01 - Rain drops keep falling on My Head }

„To be a good surgeon, you have to think like a surgeon. Emotions are messy. Tuck them neatly away and step into a clean, sterile room where the procedure is simple. Cut, suture and close. But sometimes, you're faced with a cut that won't heal. A cut that rips it's stitches wide open."

Rubys eyes darted between the married couple, figuring out whether she should stay and say something or leave. She knew situations like that from her parents. After her adoptive mom left she only had her dad and brother. But before they finally divorced Ruby had to sit trough hundreds of fights and learned that you don't intervene. They are two possibilities: A) They ignore you and just go on with their fight or B) they scream at you. And Ruby knew that option A was always her go-to, even if she hated to keep her mouth shut. But after that long day Rubys head was full. She couldn't stand watch another fight and just left. In the distance she could slightly hear Derek and Addison talking.

Entering Joes was something Ruby Moore had done the whole week after work. She would just sit at the bar, flirt occasionally with a nice blonde and drink too many tequila shorts. Joe saw her entering and poured a shot for her wordlessly. He noticed that she didn't like talking about her day and just wanted some quiet (even if quiet wasn't exactly how you would decribe the bar) and someone to make her forget.

After ordering a sex on the beach, she made her way to Meredith and sat next to her. Meredith didn't shared a look with the brunette. Ruby knew she fucked up but she knew Derek longer and kept it a secret. „I know i messed up, Mer. Derek told me not to tell you anything. It wasn't the right choice, I know."

„I'm not mad at you."

Rubys eyes flickered to her. She was confused. „Why?" She just asked and drank some of the cocktail.

„It wasn't your concern to begin with, he should have told me."

Ruby nodded and ordered two tequila shots. „Thank you, but these two are on me though. I still feel bad." Meredith thanked her and the two of them downed the alcohol quickly.

„All hail the champ! So, my guy Alex finally got what was coming to him." Joe exclaimed and looked at George and Christina who made their way up to the pair.

„George knocked him down in one punch. You should've seen it.", Cristina was proud of George for finally doing something.

He just shrugged. „I don't want to talk about it!"

„Brag, champ, brag. You've earned it."

They sat down next to the duo. „Let's play a game of whose life sucks the most. I'll win. I always win." Ruby shot Meredith an apologizing look.