━━ oo. prologue

prologue — a new start

prologue
a new start

FLYING WASN'T RUBY MOORES FAVORITE THING. The pressure on the ears, the food and the eternal waiting wasn't her cup of tea. She sat five hours next to a baby, which was crying the whole time. On her right side was a woman vomiting. You could tell that her mood was bad. As the plane landed, Ruby breathed out and found as fast as she could a way out of the plane. It had its perks flying first class. Trying to find her suitcase, the brunette looked around the airport, which wasn't easy because she for sure wasn't the tallest. She spotted him. Derek was already staring at Ruby.

As she ran to him, with her suitcase now of course, Ruby nearly tripped, but Derek saw it coming and held her in his arms before anything could happen.

„Hey.", he smiled down at her and hugged her tighter. Derek hasn't seen her in over 6 months. They texted and called but it wasn't the same as seeing eachother in real life. He laid his head on hers and smelled her hair. It was a mixture between the apple shampoo she used and menthol cigarettes.

„Hey, Derek. I missed you." She slowly got out of the hug and gave him her full suitcase, which was the reason that she nearly fell some seconds ago. Checking to see if she has everything, mostly checking if she still has her cigarettes because she could have lost them or Derek could have stolen them.

Going outside of the airport and to Dereks car, Ruby lightened a cigarette and let the smoke go into her lungs.

You're a doctor and know about the risks of smoking, but yet you still do it."

Smiling sheepishly, Ruby threw the half smoked cig away. She started to get into the car, not answering Dereks question.

„So we have one week til I have to work. Let's go to the bar you told me about. What was it? Something like Joe's?"

Derek just nodded but noted that he had to keep an eye out for Ruby. She always had some problems with having too much fun. She was just 22 but had mastered so many things in her short life. Her older brother moved out, her mom and dad were divorced and Ruby moved to Seattle alone. Still she always kept a true smile on her lips and sarcastic remarks left her mouth. Her eyes sparkled whenever she made a sneaky comment about someone. Nobody would take it serious, because that's who Ruby Moore was. A girl that everybody loved. Some more than others.

*