Chapter Twelve: Family Ties

Warning: excessive violence and explicit depictions of death. This work is entirely fictional with absolutely no ties to the people who may share names with real life individuals. Read at own discretion.

"You always did go for the pretty ones." Jungkook's father said with a raised brow as his son approached him. The businessmen hugging his dad's sides gave a nod at the sight of Jungkook, eyeing each other as they left to give them space.

"You're 'hello's' are getting more creative." Jungkook said back. The wine in his dad's hand swished as he turned around, starting to weave through the crowd of gala-goers towards an office he held in the back. It was the one room here his dad never failed to pay for; the one place where the door closed and powerful people scrapped to talk with the politician.

His dad smiled at a couple CFOs and security men as they passed through the hall, putting a heavy hand on Jungkook's shoulder. Jungkook thought about shooting it. "I'm glad you came." His father said, his heavy brows furrowing and lips settling into a too-pleasant smile.

Jungkook eyed the faint scar above his dad's brow and under his eye, the way his shoulders were still tight and his knuckles still calloused. To Korea, he looked the rising star leading the country to a brighter future. To Jungkook, he looked like nothing but a mob-man masquerading as one. He couldn't imagine Jimin leveraging his scars to scrape an extra vote. It made him want to vomit.

"I came for business, not for you." Jungkook said, eyeing Soyeon as they passed. The Jade glanced at him as she spoke with Hwasa. Jungkook frowned, trying to find where Jimin was if not with The Park.

"Look at you, you sound like a proper Don. Your mom would be proud." His dad said and flicked his hand up so the reporter took a second photo at a different angle.

"Smile." His dad added as a reporter took a photo with the office door behind them.

"You don't get an opinion on that." Jungkook said through his teeth as a second reporter walked up to the them. "Or mention her, either."

"Smile." His dad said again before Jungkook could reach for the door. Jungkook turned around as different reporter held up a camera and took a photo of Jungkook with his dad's arm around his shoulders. They took another and then the reporter walked away. Jungkook rolled his eyes, walking into the office and closing the door behind him. The music and chatter of the gala hallowed out immediately.

"Jungkook. It's always so tense with you."

Jungkook chewed his cheek. He crossed his arms, leaning against the door. He was getting too old for this. "This is a transactional obligation between us. You get your photos, I get the cops to look the other way."

The Politician sighed. "One day you're going to understand why I left and forgive me." His dad said, walking around a wooden desk and taking a seat. He took a sip of his wine before setting it down. "But we can keep it transactional right now if that's what you need."

"I'll never understand that. I needed you." Jungkook said, fire burning up his spine. "I needed you and you were gone. You didn't just leave The Jeons, you left me. Yoongi and Seokjin were killing themselves trying to keep me and The Jeons together and you didn't bother to even call. So you don't get to turn around and tell me I'll understand someday."

"Where is Seokjin? You always bring that boy with you."

"Seriously? That's what you're focusing on right now?"

"Jungkook. I'm trying here."

"Are you?"

His dad put the wine down, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "I loved her too, you know."