Chapter Three.

TRIGGER WARNING.
Violence and Death.
_________________________________________

In the wake of those who've passed,
A trail of mysteries amassed.
Their journey's secrets are unmasked.

~The Detective.~

"Hello," she greets him, her voice laced with a hint of uncertainty. It's a curious twist of fate, their paths crossing in such unexpected circumstances.

"Hello, Amelia Rivers is it?" Gabriel's words carry a composed authority, his gaze steady as it meets hers. Amelia's nod is a small yet affirmative gesture, bridging the gap between the stranger and herself.

"I'm Gabriel Harper," he introduces himself, a sense of urgency in his tone. "I'm sorry to come by unannounced, but I needed to ask you a few questions about the case."

Amelia's confusion surfaces as she mentions Daniel's involvement. "The case? I already gave a statement and I thought Daniel was in charge."

Gabriel's explanation sheds light on the situation.

"Since you and Daniel have a personal connection, I've been assigned to your case. He's still part of the investigation, but I'll be leading it."

She lets him in and as he steps into her living room, Jessica's arrival adds an unexpected layer of familiarity. The camaraderie between them takes Amelia by surprise, revealing a history that had remained hidden from her.

"Gabriel!" Jessica's initial concern transforms into a genuine smile as she greets him warmly.

"Jessica," he acknowledges their embrace a testament to their connection. Amelia observes their interaction, curious about the ties that bind them.

Jessica turns to Amelia, performing introductions. "Amelia, this is Gabriel," her gesture towards him carries a subtle sense of camaraderie. Amelia's gaze meets Gabriel's, her expression polite yet tinged with mild perplexity as she realizes she hasn't encountered him before.

"He's Daniel's friend and practically a brother," Jessica continues, her words carrying an affection that runs deep.

"This is Amelia, my friend, and sister," the introduction is accompanied by a warmth that transcends mere words, the unspoken bond of kindred spirits.

"Nice to meet you," Amelia extends a polite greeting, her intrigue growing as she navigates the unfolding dynamic.

As Jessica engages in conversation with Daniel on the phone, Amelia finds herself in the company of the detective. Their eyes lock, an unspoken tension humming between them.

"I've heard a lot about you from Jessica and Daniel," Amelia admits, her voice tinged with vulnerability. "It's good to finally meet in person."

Mark's response carries a touch of gravity, his words layered with unspoken implications.

"Jessica has mentioned you," he begins, his gaze holding a depth that hints at hidden depths.

"I would've preferred our meeting to be under different circumstances, but..." His words trail off, leaving a pregnant pause that speaks of the intricate threads that have woven their lives together, shaped by circumstances far beyond their control.

"So, what brings you to this town after so many years?" Jessica's tone is casual, but Amelia senses an underlying gravity in the question.

"I'm working on the case with Daniel," Gabriel replies, his gaze shifting back to Amelia.