Chapter 5 - The Veil That Hides You From Me...

The day of the ball arrived, and Alana was suddenly bombarded by the Queen's maids. All of them insisting they were to help her dress and prepare herself for the evening ahead. No matter what protest she gave, how many hands she slapped away, or how many indignant cries to stop she let out... they carried on; undressing, washing and then dressing her again in a lush red velvet dress, her quick lessons in elocution and etiquette done with Alana's cheeks aflame.

But, finally, she was left alone. Left to sit and rest and ponder the night ahead. Left to sit and admire the dress she'd been given. She smiled at the realisation of how comfortable she was wearing this; even the dress's built-in corseting aided her posture and helped her sit so her back wouldn't ache from keeping it straight for long periods of time.

A gentle knock at the door interrupted Alana's train of thought, but she smiled when she turned and saw the Queen poking her head around the door.

"Your Majesty..." Alana smiled politely as the maids had instructed her mere hours before, and stood to curtsy.

"Please, Alana..." The Queen's voice murmured gently as Alana dipped into her curtsy, but felt tender fingers tilt her chip up. The Queen smiled and took Alana's hand. "We are alone and hold no protocols for those we call family."

Alana frowned as she stood. "But, I'm not-"

"Soon enough." The Queen smiled warmly, taking a step back from Alana and holding her shoulders firmly. "Let me look at you..." Alana watched the Queen appraise her, biting her lip in worry at the small smile that tugged at the older woman's mouth. "Lovely." The Queen finally breathed and pulled Alana into a hug. "I daresay he'll not be able to keep his eyes off you, my dear."

"I don't know..." Alana replied quietly, half stumbling as she stepped back from the hug. "See? I keep tripping..."

"Nonsense. You were side stepping a stool." The Queen smiled.

Alana frowned. "But I-"

"Rule one. You're Royalty." The Queen smiled knowingly. "And Royalty is always right."

Alana quirked an eyebrow at the older woman. "That doesn't seem right..." she paused for a moment. "Or fair..."

"Which is why that rule is used sparingly." The Queen nodded.

"Oh..." Alana looked backwards as she took a step back again.

"Also... don't back away from people talking to you tonight." The Queen continued softly as she took Alana's arm and helped her sit in front of a vanity, facing her towards the mirror and meeting her eyes in the reflection. "You are strong, and a far better person than most you will meet tonight..." the Queen paused as she picked up a brush and began running it through Alana's hair. "For a start you've not ripped anyone's throat out."

Alana smiled. "No."

"See?" the Queen smirked. "Already better than me."

Alana watched the Queen's reflection. "You've killed someone?"

"A few someone's... when I was younger... the method for feeding is a tad more civilised now." The Queen replied with a shrug. "Not nearly as much fun through."

"Hmm..." Alana hummed, another thought entering her mind as she looked into the mirror. "Um... are you sure you're vampires?"

The Queen laughed at that. "Why?"

"Well..." Alana waved her hand in front of the mirror. "You have reflections for a start... and Ville's been photographed..."

"Our kind began most of the myths people know about vampires today..." The Queen glanced up into the mirror briefly with a smile before returning to twirl Alana's hair. "It makes it easier to move through society when you can prove you're not a vampire."