Chapter 10 - The Greater Good

Chapter 10 – The Greater Good
"Ville needs to be called back immediately..." Alana could hear vague whispering coming from the doorway over the soft sound of the dialysis machine.

There has been... complications.

The poison wasn't just in her blood anymore, though most of it was being filtered out that way. It had invaded her soft tissues now. She could barely move, and groaned with the simple effort of trying to scratch her own nose. She let out a tired sigh as her hand fell back onto the pillow again and she went back to trying to catch what was being said outside her door.

"He's still in Austria," the Queen's agitated voice murmured. "He went to get some help from...a friend."

"Well they'd both better get here soon... I'm not sure how much longer the blood filtering will work." Alana heard the clink of Doctor Felton's glasses being removed and placed back in their case.

"It has to... just for a while longer. He'll be here, we just need to buy him some time to-"

"To what? Find Van Helsing? To reason with him? She doesn't have time for reason and words." Felton snapped. "Thoughts and prayers never helped anyone. Just ask the millions who try that."

Alana huffed and, with what felt like the weight of the world upon her, she forced herself to sit. Enough with this damsel in distress nonsense. If it was Ville she needed, it was Ville she would get. She recalled a magic mirror he had once shown her briefly that he'd explained could work like a telephone – sort of – more like video call but more reliable. You don't need reception with mirrors. And he had promised to always keep a small mirror in his wallet... and he never went anywhere without that.

"No, no, rest, your highness..." Doctor Felton suddenly appeared by her side as she shoved the bedcovers back.

"No..." she mumbled, righting herself and letting her feet rest on the ground lightly. "No, I'm going mad in here. I need fresh air. If someone will help me, I want to walk." With effort, she stood and steadied herself against the bedpost, eyes imploring the Queen. "Please."

After a long, painful moment, the Queen nodded. "Not too far though."

"Your majesty-" Doctor Felton began, but she cut him off, her voice suddenly more authoritative than Alana had ever heard it.

"I'll take her. Though any one of us is capable." She came to Alana's side and wrapped an arm about her waist and gave a small nod. "You set the pace, dear. I'll walk as you do."

Alana gave a weak smile and nodded back before focusing on her feet. One step at a time. She thought to herself. That's all I need to do. One foot in front of the other.

She felt herself stumble and heard the reprimanding hiss of the Queen towards Doctor Felton; no doubt he had gone to grab her before she fell.

"I'm fine." Alana grit her teeth and took another step. Then another. And another. And then, they were out the door.

***

For royalty, they sure don't have that many mirrors. Alana huffed inside her head. Being perfect beings, Vampires don't often need to check their own perfection. But why does the nearest one have to be so far away?!

It wasn't, in fact, all that far, maybe a two minute walk from her chambers, usually. But, in her current condition, two minutes had become ten very easily.

She, and the Queen, were currently sitting in the alcove before the library; allowing Alana a short rest. Alana was glad her legs seemed to be regaining some of their strength with each step, as if her obstinance was in some way rejuvenating, and she chuckled quietly to herself.