Captivated Heart

Author's Note ~ If you guys want longer stories, feel free to ask! And yes, we will publish more soon.

»»-----  -----««

Summary: Before Jim picked up the amulet, before school started, before all of it, Jim attends a party for Toby, paving the path for his upcoming High School year. Gaining an enemy but also a love interest. Who knew someone could captivate him so easily?

Characters: Jim, Toby, Claire, Mary, Darci, Steve,

»»-----  -----««

"Jim, come on!" Toby cried as he flopped onto Jim's couch, the lanky boy standing nearby, arms crossed as he raised an eyebrow at his friend's antics. "Do you have any idea what this could do for us!"

"Tobes, I'm sorry, I just don't see the point of going to some high school party. Especially because we don't know anybody." Toby's head appeared from the couch, scrambling to sit up.

"That's exactly my point, we're freshmen! We know nobody, if we go to this party, we can be the kings of the school! Be cool, popular, and get all the ladies! We will be awesome!"

Jim stared at his friend, knowing all too well that it wouldn't work like that, and if it did, it wouldn't be in their favor. As he gave no answer, Toby's face grew desperate and Jim struggled with his inner self. He loved his best friend, they had a bond and after his father left, Toby appeared, almost as if those clouds of grey had been replaced with sunshine.

He saw how eager his friend was, after all, he moved to Arcadia, grew up beside Jim, and moved through Middle School, unknown. It seemed like Toby wanted a fresh start as they began their high school career. The excitement on his face was pleasing but the thought of sitting at a party, awkward made Jim question if he really wanted to do this for Toby.

"I don't know," Jim started as Toby moved closer. "I mean, we're awkward, we never get invited to any of these things, and besides, what would my mom think? Having a party right before school starts?"

"You're mom works till dawn! She won't know, and we can change that awkwardness and go onto cool dudes in school!"

Jim chewed at his lip, he didn't think his mother would mind, however, using that as an excuse could have worked rather well if she didn't spend most of her nights at the hospital trying to make ends meet.

"Come on, Jimbo! Please, for me! Give me my chance!" He cried, giving the best puppy dog eyes he could muster. Jim stared, feeling the uncertainty bubbling within him before letting out a sigh.

"Fine!" Toby squealed, ready to tackle his tall friend in a hug. "Only for a little bit!"

"A little bit is all I need," Toby laughed excitedly, moving rather quickly to ready himself. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to look good." Jim couldn't help but smile as he watched his friend move up the stairs and towards the bathroom.

He hoped he did the right thing, he also prayed that the party wasn't as bad as he thought. He really didn't need any embarrassing moments. Yet, Toby was excited, and for now, that was all that mattered, perhaps Jim could push the bitter thoughts away and let Toby enjoy his night.

Maybe even stay a little longer if it didn't seem like a bad idea.

___

It was a bad idea.

Jim had lost Toby the moment they arrived, and while his friend was squealing in excitement, Jim was instantly a nervous wreck, watching as kids from all grades filled the house, sipping on their fruit punch and dancing wildly to the music that blasted through the speakers.