Chapter 19

At eleven o'clock that night, they said good-bye to Pansy and Daphnie in the common room and went down to the entrance hall. Apart from the odd prefect patrolling the halls the castle was deserted at this time of the night. Filch was already there -- and so was Weasley. "Follow me," said Filch, lighting a lamp and leading them outside. I bet you'll think twice about breaking a school rule again, won't you, eh?" he said, leering at them. "Oh yes... hard work and pain are the best teachers if you ask me.... It's just a pity they let the old punishments die out... hang you by your wrists from the ceiling for a few days, I've got the chains still in my office, keep 'em well-oiled in case they're ever needed.... Right, off we go, and don't think of running off, now, it'll be worse for you if you do."

They marched off across the dark grounds. Harry wondered what their punishment was going to be. It must be something really horrible, or Filch wouldn't be sounding so delighted. The moon was bright, but clouds scudding across it kept throwing them into darkness. Ahead, Harry could see the lighted windows of Hagrid's hut. Then they heard a distant shout. "Is that you, Filch? Hurry up, I want ter get started." Harry's heart rose; if they were going to be working with Hagrid it wouldn't be so bad. His relief must have showed in his -face, because Filch said, "I suppose you think you'll be enjoying yourself with that oaf? Well, think again, boy -- it's into the forest you're going and I'm much mistaken if you'll all come out in one piece." Draco stopped dead in his tracks. "The forest?" he repeated, and he didn't sound quite as cool as usual. "We can't go in there at night -- there's all sorts of things in there -- werewolves, I heard." "We'll be killed for sure" Teddy said, looking sigfinciftnly paler. Harry to wasn't feeling quite so good about things now. "That's your problem, isn't it?" said Filch, his voice cracking with glee. "Should've thought of them werewolves before you got in trouble, shouldn't you?" Hagrid came striding toward them out of the dark, Fang at his heel. He was carrying his large crossbow, and a quiver of arrows hung over his shoulder. "Abou' time," he said. "I bin waitin' fer half an hour already. All right, lads?" "I shouldn't be too friendly to them, Hagrid," said Filch coldly, they're here to be punished, after all." "That's why yer late, is it?" said Hagrid, frowning at Filch. "Bin lecturin' them, eh? 'Snot your place ter do that. Yeh've done yer bit, I'll take over from here." "I'll be back at dawn," said Filch, "for what's left of them," he added nastily, and he turned and started back toward the castle, his lamp bobbing away in the darkness. Weasly now turned to Hagrid. "I'm not going in that forest, he said, and Harry was pleased to hear the note of panic in his voice. "Yeh are if yeh want ter stay at Hogwarts," said Hagrid, looking slighty sympatic. "Yeh've done wrong an' now yehve got ter pay fer it." Weasley didn't look too happy with the big man's response but held his tongue.

"Right then," said Hagrid, looking cheerier, "now, listen carefully, 'cause it's dangerous what we're gonna do tonight, an' I don' want no one takin' risks. Follow me over here a moment." He led them to the very edge of the forest. Holding his lamp up high, he pointed down a narrow, winding earth track that disappeared into the thick black trees. A light breeze lifted their hair as they looked into the forest.

"Look there," said Hagrid, "see that stuff shinin' on the ground? Silvery stuff? That's unicorn blood. There's a unicorn in there bin hurt badly by summat. This is the second time in a week. I found one dead last Wednesday. We're gonna try an' find the poor thing. We might have ter put it out of its misery." "And what if whatever hurt the unicorn finds us first?" said Weasly, unable to keep the fear out of his voice. "There's nothin' that lives in the forest that'll hurt yeh if yer with me or Fang," said Hagrid. "An' keep ter the path. Right, now, we're gonna split inter two parties an' follow the trail in diff'rent directions. There's blood all over the place, it must've bin staggerin' around since last night at least."

"Split up" Teddy exclaimed. Hagrid shrugged, "tis the easiest way". "I want Fang" Draco said quickly, eying Fangs large teeth. "All right, but I warn yeh, he's a coward," said Hagrid. Dracos face fell. " So me, Harry, an' Ron'll go one way an' Draco, Teddy, an' Fang'll go the other". Now it was Harry's face who fell. "Now, if any of us finds the unicorn, we'll send up green sparks, right? Get yer wands out an' practice now -- that's it -- an' if anyone gets in trouble, send up red sparks, an' we'll all come an' find yeh -- so, be careful -- let's go." The forest was black and silent. A little way into it they reached a fork in the earth path, and Harry, Weasley, and Hagrid took the left path while Draco, Teddy, and Fang took the right.