Twenty-Nine

Kathleen quietly walked into her father's old precinct, Stella's carrier held tightly in her hand. She was sporting a black eye and a split lip since her mother and sister fought her when she insisted that Stella be brought to the police.

"Captain Cragen?" Kathleen spoke as she walked past the desk officer.

"Kathleen? What are you doing here?" Fin asked, since Cragen was in his office as he made calls and tried to get things figured out. 

"Maureen and my mother killed Olivia and kidnapped Stella... I'm just returning her, because what they did was wrong and I couldn't stand by and let them hurt her too," Kathleen spoke, her voice shaking. Fin raced to Kathleen's side and tore the carrier from her hand before looking in to see a hiccupping Stella.

"Captain!" Fin yelled, as he took the carrier to his desk and slowly lifted the infant from it. Kathleen looked around before turning to leave but stepped right into the chest of the desk officer.

"Not so fast, kid," He spoke.

"I-i didn't do anything. My mother and sister did. I-i just want to go home," Kathleen stuttered.

"There is no way in hell that you are going home. Put your hands behind your back, now."

///

The lights and sirens of an incoming ambulance brought Amanda and Casey from their own thoughts. Alex had gone downstairs to get them coffee, so she wasn't there when Stella was brought in. They watched as the doors opened and an EMT came into the emergency room with Stella in his arms. 

"That's Stella! Who had her?!" Casey cried, as she ran towards the doors as Stella was rushed into a trauma room.

"Novak, slow down. She's going to be fine. Kathleen dropped her off at the station," Fin spoke, as he grabbed Casey by her arms.

"Kathleen? Why did she have her?!" Casey demanded, as she tried to shake from Fin's grasp so she could get to her niece's side.

"Maureen and Kathy took her after they hurt Olivia. Cragen and John are going to arrest them right now. They think they killed Olivia," Fin replied. Casey broke down into sobs as she burred her face in her shaking hands.

"Olivia is not doing good, Fin. They said she has brain trauma and internal injuries. Let alone the fact her body started to shut down thanks to being in the snow for so long... If she makes it, it'll be a tough recovery," Amanda frowned as she pulled Casey to her side.

Fin rubbed the back of his neck as tears burned his eyes. He quickly blinked them away, before looking towards the room Stella was being taken care of in.

"Stay with Stella... I'm going to interrogate those... fucking bitches," Fin swore as he turned on his heel and stomped from the emergency room.

///

Stella was dehydrated and very hungry because she hadn't been fed in hours. She had a few bruises and cuts, but otherwise was healthy. She was taken upstairs to the pediatric floor where her aunts took turns snuggling her and making sure she felt loved. As the hours went by at the hospital, the guys interrogated Maureen and Kathy separately. Kathy demanded that she be questioned with Maureen, but Maureen was an adult, and that wasn't a requirement anymore.

"Why did you attack Olivia?" Fin questioned as he sat across from Kathy. Her face was all contorted, and her hands were balled into fists.

"I didn't attack her," she grumbled, as her attorney shifted in the cold metal chair.

"Yes, you did. Olivia was found unconscious and barely breathing at the cemetery. She was attacked at Elliot's grave, and Stella was kidnapped from the plot," Fin replied, as he tried to keep his cool. The past year had been hell for Olivia, and it made Fin so angry that he couldn't prevent this from happening.

"You don't have proof of this attack, Detective. Unless-"

"The cemetery has cameras due to plots being messed with. We have video of your client going to the cemetery and then leaving about twenty minutes later with blood on your clothes and her daughter was holding the baby carrier. We can use cameras from around the city to track your van back to your house. Then Kathleen brought Stella to the precinct and told us that Maureen kidnapped her and you killed Olivia," Fin replied, as the door opened and a cart with a large box TV was pushed in. 

The officer passed Fin the remote and left the room quietly. Once the videos played through, Kathy was pale and barely breathing. She looked down at the table before taking a slow breath.

"She slept with my husband, so she deserved this brutal of a death. That bastard should go into foster care and get the shit kicked out of her like her mother," Kathy growled.

"Kathy, don't talk anymore. We want a deal," the attorney spoke, and all Fin did was shake his head and stood. He walked from the interrogation room and slammed the door as hot tears streamed down his cheeks.

///

Maureen was just as bitter about the situation as her mother, which led to both of them being sent to the tombs and held without bail. The crew left and went to the hospital to check on Olivia and Stella. Kathy and Maureen kept insisting that Olivia was dead, but the crew hadn't been notified if Olivia had succumbed to her injuries or not.

"Any news?" Fin asked, as he met the girls outside of Stella's room. Casey raked her fingers through her messy red hair before taking a shaky breath.

"She's out of surgery but is in a coma. Her brain swelled, and they had to remove a portion of her skull to make room," Casey breathed.

"Is she going to make it?" Cragen asked, but everyone just shrugged. Just as Amanda had said earlier, if Olivia survived her injuries, the recovery would be the most difficult thing she had gone through. And Olivia survived the death of her mother, the trauma of a miscarriage, and the death of the love of her life.