dreams

"Devlin Hunt to miss media day due to personal emergency."

The paddock was buzzing with the news. Of course it didn't help when they fitted Mick's seat into car 95.

The mood in the Mercedes garage was anything but good. Dev had just arrived at the track late Wednesday night when she had gotten the call from her brother. When she answered, his tone told her something was wrong instantly.

Dev didn't enjoy the phone call with Toto either. She tried to convince her that she could stay and start the weekend. He told her that he wouldn't let her in the car until she went to see her mother.

All of a sudden. That's what her brother said. All of a sudden her mother got extremely ill. The hospital staff had recommended the whole family to say their goodbyes.

Thankfully it had been her brother who called her, if it was anyone else from her family she probably would have said no.

Just like that she was back on a flight to England. She wasn't alone either.

Fabio would be meeting her there. He had been the second phone call she made. Of course the media had already posted about her absence for media day, Mercedes had issued a statement the second she got off the phone with Toto. Sooner rather than later, the MotoGP media was buzzing over the next breaking headline.

"Fabio Quartararo to miss media day due to a personal emergency."

Most of her housemates had told her they hoped everything was alright and would miss her this weekend. She just rolled her eyes. She was going to be racing this weekend no matter what. Her mother wasn't there when she needed her most. Dev knew it was terrible to think that way but her mother had attempted to hold her back in every possible way. Yet here she was, racing in Formula 1.

~

Dev hated hospitals. Ever since the accident she always hated walking into them. It brought back too many memories of the aftermath, mostly her mother screaming and sobbing. Most of the screaming was directed at her.

This time maybe she should be the one screaming. This was an important race weekend. Lewis needed big points to climb ahead in the World Driver's Championship. They were on the brink of losing it to Charles. Max had taken a considerable amount of points for himself as well.

Fabio grabbed her hand and squeezed it as they walked up to the nurses station.

Dev didn't realize she had zoned out until they were at the door to her mother's room.

Everything in her gut told her to turn around. She couldn't face this. Even though she disagreed with her family, she couldn't face this and act like she would be okay. The team needed her, Lewis needed her. They were running out of time to secure him his 8th World Title.

Her sister and father stood up as they walked in to the room. Dev cringed as she took in her mother laying in the hostpital bed. Luckily she was sleeping. Devlin didn't know if she was ready to come face to face with her yet.

"Ben just left but he'll be back soon."

Dev just nodded in acknowledgment to her half-sister.

Her father took a step closer to her, she realized she hadn't seen any of them excpect for Ben since they had come to the race all those months ago. She hadn't really talked to them either besides her brother.

"She wanted to speak with you. The docotors, don't have good news. She didn't want to leave with all the issues between the two of you."

It took ounce of media training and self control she had to not wince. So they hadn't be exggatrating when they said her mother was dying.