Chapter 2

I wake up pretty late as it is a Saturday. Without changing my night suit, I make my way downstairs to find Coraline sitting on the low couch in our living room. The room is a mess, we really need to clean soon.
          "Good morning mom." I mumble. She glares at me, raising an eyebrow. "I mean, good afternoon, my bad." I rephrase, embarrassed.
          "Good morning my little mockingbird. Breakfast is on the counter and coffee is in the coffee pot. You better eat well because we are going out tonight." She says with excitement in her voice. It's been a few months since I found out that I'm going to go to Harvard and tonight, she's hosting a party for me since we finally saved up enough money to invite everyone to a nearby restaurant.
          "Mom, really, you don't have to host a party. I know how hard you work, and I don't want to be the reason for you to waste all your money." I sit beside her, lacing my fingers through hers. She pats my hand. "Honey, you know I wanted this. There is nothing more important for me than you. You're the reason I still have a good life and I'm happy with what I have, because I have you." I smile, hugging her as she kisses my temple.
          After breakfast I go back to my messy room. Books are everywhere, my bed isn't made and the clothes from yesterday are on the floor. This summer isn't going how it was supposed to go. Hopefully that will change by the end of this night. I ignore the mess and sit back on my bed while I text Livie and Wyatt.
          "Hey, you guys coming tonight? We're going to have a chocolate fountain, you know." I send them the text with a winking emoji. And like I guessed; they reply instantly. 

          "A chocolate fountain? How on earth did I not think of that in my party?" Wyatt replies. "Consider us already there my sweet little mockingbird." Olivia texts with a laughing emoji. "Don't say that. You're forbidden from using that phrase." I can't help but smile at the blue/green screen. I put my phone back on my bed and decide to clean my room as I might want them to stay over tonight.
          After cleaning around the house for a bit, I tell my mom that I'm going to go and get ready. I shower and put on the dress I bought for this special occasion. It is a blood red dress made of velvet. It falls to my feet as I carefully slip into it, its thin straps are hanging on my shoulders. I wear a white sweater on top as it might get chilly later at night. I slip into the heels I got for my 16th birthday and head on out with my mom.
          I immediately spot my comfort crowd the moment I step inside. "Hey you. Looking gorgeous as always." Livie says, touching my curls and giving me a beautiful smile. 
          "You're not looking too bad either." I return her compliment and she blushes. After a while we are joined by Wyatt and his mom who sits with Coraline and Livie's mom. 
          "WHERE IS IT? THE CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN, WHERE IS IT?" He shouts the moment he steps in, tugging at my sleeves. 
           "Calm down, you idiot! People are watching." Livie whisper yells at him, pulling his ear as they disappear to go to the fountain. I can hear Wyatt whimpering from here, I follow them.
           The night was amazing, we had the best dinner with all of my friends and mom's friends. Wyatt threw a fit when he saw cotton candy and kept on stomping his feet on the ground, his arms folded at his chest as he pouted. "But I want one!" He whined while Olivia pulled him by his ear and dragged him out of there again to avoid getting stared at.

           Then we came back to our house and had a karaoke session, we danced to some songs, had a pillow fight and later on decided that Wyatt and Olivia would stay with me for the night.
           Staying the night at each other's houses was always what we looked forward to. The entire night we watched horror movies while Wyatt hid under the blankets on my bed as we kept on jump-scaring him. We had popcorn and cup after cup of sodas, feeding ourselves and throwing the popcorn at each other as we tried to catch it with our mouths. Surprisingly Olivia was pretty good at it, so was I. However, Wyatt kept on failing miserably. The rest of the night was a blur, but I guess we went back to bed.
           The next day I wake up alone, no one is here. They must have gone early. I think. I go downstairs and find Coraline talking to Wyatt and Olivia about the time we had went to Toys R Us and I was "lost" in the store. The entire staff was looking for me including mom as the store was closing down soon. They had then found me next to a kid mannequin pretending to be a mannequin. It was always embarrassing when she brought that story up to someone. I fear that one day she will do this again when I'm with my kids maybe 10 years from now.
           "Mom! No more stories, you guys are out." I snap and they all start laughing as my face goes red with embarrassment. Livie jumps off the chair and almost falls but she manages to come to me and hugs me tightly. "Come on! Cheer up a bit Sybil. Besides, school is about to start again, and you need some good old energy to face those rats!" I know who she's referring to, Adrik and his little group of rats is what we like to call them. 
           "Okay but this time can I pleaseee spit on Luke's face, I've been practicing." Wyatt begs as the three of us laugh and mock him.

           After having breakfast together, Livie's mom pulls up at our house to pick Livie up and go back home. Wyatt decides to go home with her, and just like that, I'm alone again with my mom.
           "What was all that for?" I ask Coraline. "It's so fun to see you all grown up reacting to this. This never gets old." She answers, pleased with herself. I shake my head disapprovingly as I turn on the TV. We hear a knock at the door. I look at mom to see if she's expecting anyone, but I find her looking at me with the same puzzled look. 
          "Maybe it's the kids. I'm going to go check." I nod.
          "Coraline Cruz?" I hear a man speak and I decide to lower the volume and walk over to the door. The tall man wears a dark blue suit and a white tie. He has a gray beard and wears sunglasses to block the sharp rays of the sun.
          Mom nods. He hands an envelope to her and speaks.
          "With great regret, I'm here to inform you that you have been falling behind on paying the rent and that unfortunately we have to evict you." He continues. "You have 2 more days to either pay or it is best that you start packing." A shiver goes down my spine.
          She hid this from me.

As the man leaves, I turn to her. "Why?" Is all I can ask her in that heartbreaking moment. She looks surprised by my quick reaction and places a hand on her chest.
          "Sybil, now's not the time." She dismisses me with the movement of her right hand after she catches her breath.
          "No, tell me why you didn't let me know earlier, why did you still host that party for me yesterday, why did you not want me to work and help you with paying the bills. Why?" I can feel the tears threatening to fall. I'm holding my breath. 

          She turns to me so that she can look me in the eye.
          "Because I don't want you to worry about it. I don't want you to grow up so quickly, I don't want to make you work just because I cannot be good enough of a mother to you," she continues.
          "Don't worry I've got it covered. You already have a lot to worry about, go to your room and start getting ready for college. Call me if you need me." I stare at her in disbelief. I scoff and go to my room and kick the bed, stubbing my toe. It still hurts like hell, and I finally give in, crying my eyes out. How could she hide this from me? F*ck, we're going to be homeless and there's no damn way she can pay all that money in the blink of an eye.
          I make my way to the closet to start packing, not for Harvard but for moving out. I know she can't pay the rent now, there's no way she's going to gather enough money by the end of two days. I'm almost done with my room when I hear mom call to me from downstairs.
          "Sybil, I'm going out to find some cheap apartments. Stay here." Now I'm alone, great. I slouch in the chair next to my desk. "We're getting kicked out of our house. Meet me after school tomorrow?" I send Olivia and Wyatt the text, hoping for a quick reply. I'm not exactly in a very cheering mood right now.