Chapter 3

After what seems like an eternity but was just 5 minutes, I check my phone to see that they both had agreed. I wearily go downstairs to pack around the house. It was getting darker outside, a symphony of colors of the sunset coming into view from the window through the kitchen.
          It was getting colder already, I shivered as I tried to get through with packing as quickly as possible so that I could have some time to myself and contemplate over the situation. I walked over to my mother's room and found her room to be surprisingly clean.
          My eyes find the picture frame on her bedside table. The 3-year-old me is sitting on my mother's lap, smiling back at me as if there is nothing to be worried about in life. God knows if we would even find a place to stay. I pick it up and place it in the cardboard box. She hasn't even texted me since she left.
          After a few hours I am almost done with the entire house. Our books, pictures, raincoats are all packed away and the only big things left to pack are the furniture. I haven't yet finished with mom's closet because I procrastinated. She has a lot of clothes, and I did not have the patience to go through all of her clothes at that time.
          I walk over to her closet and open it to find a very messy pile of clothes on the floor. Jeez, this is worse than what I had imagined it to be...
          As I am done packing the clothes that were on the racks in a messy pile, I start on the pile of clothes on the floor. As I start picking up the dirty shirts and jeans off the floor, I notice a cardboard box hidden under there. 

          "Well, isn't that strange." I murmur. I set it on the bed that has been carefully made and I open the box, half expecting to find more pictures of Coraline and I but what I see instead is nothing like that. There are dozens of ball gowns, extravagantly beautiful. Not just that, I notice she also has doublets, corsets, boots that rise up to the knees, and swords, not just swords but other weapons as well.

I pick it up to feel the weight of the sword. It's so heavy I almost drop it on the floor to my feet, so I quickly put it back inside. Then I grab the corsets and gowns and hold it up to myself next to a mirror. I look absolutely bewitching, almost as if I had stepped out of the 15th century to the 21st century.
          I'm about to put them back in the box when I notice a page at the bottom of the box. I take it out and squint at it since it's so dark in her room by now. I realize it's a sketch of my mom with a strange man. His features match exactly with the description my mother gave me as my own father. His red, fiery wavy hair falling to his eyes. His hand on mom's shoulder. My mom looks amazing with her straight brunette hair falling over her shoulders, her gorgeous eyes on him with desire hanging in the air.
          But this all feels so unreal, this still does not answer why they were wearing clothes that no one even thinks of wearing today, and why there are swords, knives and a crossbow in the box. I decide to keep the sketch with me and wait until mom arrives. She has a lot of explaining to do. I decide to take a break as I had been working non-stop for the past 3 hours. I heat up some pasta from last night's leftovers and head over to the couch in the living room. 
          I try to watch my favorite TV show, but I can't because of the confusion that still lingers in my head. 

          I hear something move past me and a blanket drape over me.
          "Welcome home." I mumble, my eyes shut. I had fallen asleep while watching TV.
          "Ah, I did not wish to wake you up from your slumber." She replies as I get up and sit up straight.
          "No worries. So how did the apartment hunting go?" I ask actively.
          "It was good. A lot of traveling though, so I am definitely tired. But I did find a one-bedroom apartment with one bathroom and a kitchen. I know it's not much but it's all we can afford right at the moment," She continues. "I'm sorry for not being better at everything Sybil, I really am trying, and I promise I will find a way to pay for your college, don't worry about that at all." She says in an attempt to make me feel better.
          "Mom, don't worry about college. I can start working too. We both can cover up the bills and please don't stop me from helping you. Please." I tell her, half expecting her to agree to my terms however, she does not even consider it.
          "Sybil, you already know the answer, no. You're too young and I do not wish for you to work your butt off, you will fall behind on schoolwork. Besides, I think luck will be with us. Maybe leaving this house will prove beneficial for us." She says, staring over my shoulder as if she's daydreaming. I stare at her, confusion building up inside me as she gets up to go to her room to relax after an entire day of searching for shelter.
          I walk over to her room and sit back on her bed. I think now's the time.
          "Mom, I was packing around the house, and I came to pack your clothes, but I found a box with some of your stuff in it," I watch her face as it drops. 

          It's very rare for me to see her this angry with me.
          "and I want to know what all those swords and corsets, doublets and that sketch of you and that man was about. Why do you still have that around. And before you dismiss me, know that I am here in your room tonight to know the truth, not the white lies." I tell her impatiently, watching her face as it changes from worry to anger to defeat.
          "Very well," She sighs, knowing she cannot hide it much longer. She looks at me once again and it feels as though everything around me has crashed into pieces. Her look says it all, how it ended. How she had to do it.