Chapter 21

🌷 (Y/n) P.O.V. 🌷

We sit on the edge of large pond. Katara and Aang play around while Toph sits at the bank. Toph can't swim, and Sokka was obsessing over the maps from the library, so they had originally asked me to swim with them for relaxation sake. I had refused, simply saying I wasn't in the mood. If they'd noticed me picking at the coverings on my arm, they didn't show it. Only Sokka spared me a knowing glance. Katara jumps off a nearby cliff, causing a huge wave to splash the three of us on the bank. "Watch it!" I snap, worrying it could have washed the wrappings off.

"Sure, five thousand year-old maps from the spirit library. Just splash some water on 'em." Sokka complains, waving the maps out. "Sorry." Katara says, bending the water off the map. "So, did you figure out what route we're going to take?" Aang asks. "Okay, we just got out of the desert, so we must be around here," he points out, "and we need to go to Ba Sing Se, which is here. It looks like the only passage connecting the south to the north is this sliver of land called the Serpent's Pass." 

"That sounds delightful." I remark dryly. "You sure that's the best way to go?" Toph adds. "It's the only way. I mean, it's not like we have Appa to fly us there." Sokka oh-so-helpfully reminds. "Shush up about Appa. Can't you at least try to be sensitive?" Katara scolds. "Katara, it's okay. I know I was upset about losing Appa before, but I just want to focus on getting to Ba Sing Se and telling the Earth King about the solar eclipse." Aang says unconvincingly. "Oh... well, okay. I'm glad you're doing better." Katara says slowly.

"Then to Ba Sing Se we go. No more distractions." As if the universe hates Sokka specifically, three travelers catch our attention. "Hello there, fellow refugees!" The man calls. "So, you guys are headed to Ba Sing Se, too?" Aang asks. "Sure are. We're trying to get there before my wife Ying has her baby."

"Great! We can travel through the Serpent's Pass together." Katara suggests. The group looks up in shock. "The Serpent's Pass? Only the truly desperate take that deadly route!"

"Deadly route." Toph punches Sokka in the arm. "Great pick, Sokka!"

"Well, we are desperate." Sokka reminds. "You should come with us to Full Moon Bay. Ferries take refugees across the lake. It's the fastest way to Ba Sing Se." The man informs. "And it's hidden, so the Fire Nation can't find it." Ah yes, hidden from Firenation... "Hmm ... peaceful ferry ride or deadly pass?" Katara pretends to contemplate. 

🪨🪨🪨🪨🪨

"I can't believe how many people's lives have been uprooted by the Fire Nation." Katara says once we arrive. I can't help but agree. I feel guilty and angry that I belonged to the problem. "We're all looking for a better life, safe behind the walls of Ba Sing Se." These poor people look sick and frail and filled with despair. I was taught we were sharing greatness. Instead, we made people fear us, hate us. Things like this reminds me why I left. 

We wait in line for the tickets. The man in front of us is trying to get his cabbage cart on board. "I told you already; no vegetables on the ferry! One cabbage slug could destroy the entire ecosystem of Ba Sing Se! Security!" A platypus bear destroys the cabbage cart. "Ahhh! My cabbages!" The man yells as he's dragged away. I barely contain my snicker, and Sokka elbows me in the side to quiet me. "Next!"

"Um, four tickets for the ferry to Ba Sing Se, please." Aang asks. "Passports?"

"Uh ... no one told us we had to have passports."

"Don't you know who this is? He's the Avatar!" Sokka intervenes. "Ah, I see fifty Avatars a day and, by the way, not a very impressive costume." She points to where several boys are poorly dressed like Aang. Aang nods approvingly, unfortunately. "Besides, no animals allowed. Do I need to call security?" The woman threatens. "That won't be necessary."