The Beginning: 1

Apollo hated his name. How redundant it was. How positively obvious. Yes, he was the royal demi god of the Kingdom of Fire - was every part of him supposed to announce it? It was a wonder no one has tattooed a flame on his forehead while they were at it.

Clearly, the vast powers of his people did not include creativity.

He looks around the serious faces of everyone in this too long of a meeting. Yes, no creativity in those aging craniums whatsoever.

Here they were discussing war strategy for a conflict that has raged on for a millennia. Strategize what? When the two Kingdoms have been civil (a very strained civility, he will admit) ever since The Benevolent forced them into a treaty for the greater good of all reality?

This was idle pitter patter of generals so bored with peace that they had to daydream about violence.

He wonders if in the Kingdom of Ice, the generals were as insufferable.

"And that is where you come in, Apollo."

The handsome demi god turns an eye on whoever had enough guts to interrupt his daydreams. "The name is Bright."

"That is not your official -"

"I could burn you to the ground with a wave of my hand."

"Bright -"

"Prince Bright - "

"Prince Bright - this is where you come in the negotiations."

"Why do I have to participate in anything?"

"As we have just discussed, we need the treaties signed as we do every few years."

"So?"

"So you need to meet with the Kingdom of Ice to at The Edge."

"The Edge? You want me to go all the way to Providence Valley and climb a goddamn cliff to meet with someone who probably wants me dead?"

"You will be accompanied by our best women."

"I can handle myself. That is not the point."

"Your Highness, it is always the next in line to the throne who goes. We cannot break tradition and cause the fighting to get worse."

"Why not? Everyone here seems very eager to commit mass genocide."

The room shuffles in awkward silence.

Only one general, rises to meet Bright's gaze - his uncle's. "If you are saying no to this, then you are the one saying yes to genocide. The troops are ready to do your bidding if that is your wish."

Bright's eyes narrow in defiance even if he knew he was cornered.

"These rituals are a waste of time," he tells his uncle through gritted teeth.

The older man is unmoved. "They symbolize peace."

"How peaceful can it be if we need a piece of paper to - " Bright cuts himself off. He used to be passionate about this. He used to give speeches and try to internally protest all the senseless violence and fighting. He used to but he grew tired. No one listened. No one cared. This feud ran too deep that no one cared to ask why one side hated the other - that's just how it is.

The Fire People hated The Ice People. And vise versa. No bleeding heart was going to fix that.

So instead, Bright hardens his features. "I will go. Tell me when and ready my dragon."

"Dragons are forbidden at the treaty."

"Then I shall majick myself there at the time you prescribe," came the sarcastic response.