12

Bright placed a bowl of rice on the table along with a dish he had long perfected - ground pork with chili and basil. He goes back into the kitchen for the fried eggs and places them beside Win.

They have been silent ever since waking up. The mood between them vacillating between gentle and awkward. There was too much for both of them to say and so they settled to say nothing at all.

Bright takes a seat across from Win and gestures to the food.

Win nods and helps himself.

He takes a spoonful and his eyes brighten. "This is good."

"Had a lot of time to perfect it."

Win's eyes narrow. "What does that mean?"

"I cook krapao a lot."

"It's your favorite dish or something?"

Bright purses his lips for a nanosecond. "Something like that."

Win regards him. This man who incites both frustration and longing. Who rejected him and keeps pushing him away but also kept taking care of him like they meant something to each other.

Like he knew Win like no one else did.

Being in his arms, sleeping in his warmth didn't just feel right to Win. It felt familiar. But how could it be familiar? It didn't make sense. But deep inside his heart he was sure this wasn't the first time he had been in those arms.

Perhaps this was grief and sickness making way for delusion.

But as he takes the bite of his food, he is shocked by how much it tasted exactly like he liked it. His favorite dish done exactly the way he preferred, down to how the egg was cooked.

No one knew how he wanted his kra pao because he never liked imposing his myriad of little food customizations on anyone. Only Win himself knew how to cook it the way he preferred. And apparently, so did Bright.

He places his utensils down. To hell with sounding insane.

"Bright," he says. "I am thankful for last night. Who knows what would have happened if you didn't find me."

"I-"

"But. But this doesn't mean we are okay. I still don't trust you. Maybe I am slowly losing my mind but I know you are keeping something from me. I cannot explain it but you know me. Not because we met each other at the hospital. Not because we work in the same store. You know me and...and I need you to stop lying to me. This cannot go on if you keep doing that."

"Win I can't -"

Win's phone rings. The sound cut through the dreamlike fog and sadness. He hurriedly picks up the phone,  not wanting Bright to finish another excuse.

"Kit hi."
"Did you text? My phone was dead. I just charged it."
"I'm okay I'm okay. Just a bad headache last night."
"I'm seeing you Wednesday, right?"
"Oh, today. Today."
"No, no you are not being pushy. It's just..."
Win catches Bright looking at him. He watches as Bright deviates his eyes and pretends to be non chalant. Win was done with this game.

"You know what," Win says to the phone with a smile. "Today is perfect. How about I cook for us tonight? You haven't been to my house yet, how about I give you a tour?"

Win smiles as he feels Kit's blush through the phone. This is what he needed. "I'll see you."

Win ends the call. He looks at Bright and gives him a small nod. "I need to go."

Pain twists through Bright. He should let him go. He should. He should. He should. "Wait-"

"Thank you again for last night. And for everything."

"Why are you saying it like that? I'm still seeing you tomorrow, right?"

Win simply smiles again and gathers his things.

"Win please-"

"I don't want to play this game anymore, Bright. I am pretty sure it is clear to you what I need and where I stand. But I have my pride and.." He looks down at his phone. "I have someone who is honest about how he feels for me. And I think I want to give that a chance than to wrestle with both grief and confusion. You know what I need but I will not force you to give it."

He turns away.

"You won't believe me even if I told you."

Win sighs. "You think so little of me."

"No. It's not that. It's...I can tell you but knowing will take more than just words."

"Those are not answers, Bright. Those are just more riddles."

Bright grapples with his thoughts and words.

Win simply walks away.
He tries his very best not to look back. He almost succeeds.

- - -
Author's Note:
I apologize for the very delayed and short update. But I think I am slowly but surely going to be able to write more for this fic in the next few weeks.

Thank you for anyone still reading 💕 I promise to be back soon.