A False Farewell

It was midnight now. I was so full from that delicious meal that Sampo had provided. But.. now what? I mean.. he's sober and... he no longer has any business here. In Belobog. Or with me.

I glance over at him as he washed the dishes. He wasn't the thief I remember. The Sampo I remembered was a heartbreaker who enjoyed fiddling with other's feelings. He'd steal everything he could get a hold of in my house. I glared at him. How could he do this to me..? He only had a few dishes left. It was almost time for him to leave. I stared down at my hands, thinking of excuses for him to stay longer. I wanted him to stay longer.

I bit my lip and thought.

Suddenly my train of thought was disturbed by a voice. His voice.

"I suppose I'd better get going now."

Those were the exact words I didn't want to hear. Ohh why did this have to happen... maybe I could distract him with questions?

"H-hold on! There are some things I want to get to the bottom of first!"

I stuttered. I was so nervous, and I didn't know why.

"Hm? Alright then."

Oh thank Aeons he didn't question me. I just wanted to hear his voice a bit clearly before he left. After that dinner he didn't speak a single word.

As I suspected, he sat right beside me on the couch, in a carefree position.

"S-so!"

I couldn't muster the courage. I wanted to ask something. But my mouth wouldn't allow me to speak..

"Eh.. Geppie..."

I was frightened when he suddenly spoke. I gave him my attention and he continued on.

"I guess why you're wondering why I'm not as active in the stealing business, eh?"

He rubbed the back of his neck as if in embarrassment.

"Well.. I.. I guess I didn't exactly see any reason to do so, you know? I guess.. stealing.. and how you'd chase me all around Belobog.. it.. it gave me an adrenaline rush."

Now I knew why he was so embarrassed. I could feel my cheeks heat up. I started overthinking things. ( he in his delulu era)

"..you.. you stole.. so you'd have my attention?"

"Pretty much."

"You're crazy, Koski."

The room was filled with an awkward silence until he spoke up again.

"I guess.. I uh.. there's no point in me staying here, eh?"

He smiled softly. That was the first time I've seen him smile in such a way. I wanted to say something like "no! Please stay, I don't mind." Or "please! Let's continue the conversation." But I just couldn't.

I awkwardly nodded.

Right before he left, I grabbed his hand. I don't know why I did it.

"P-please.."

I spoke under my breath.

He leaned closer to me to hear what I was saying. Ahh!

"L..let's continue the conversation.. please.."